Portable quail hutch? Opinions please.

RUNuts

Smiling. I'm up to something.
7 Years
May 19, 2017
Swamps of Texas
I have chickens and want to try quail. I'm starting fresh and have a blank slate.

I'm seeing a lot of static hutches. I was leaning towards a tractor to spread the manure. The tractor would have to be moved to disperse the goodness. I'm not a big fan of shoveling ... good fertilizer. :rolleyes:

Why does everyone keep quail on wire? For them to be a good height to work with? The stacked cages are space saving, high density apartments. The single hutches are for ease of fertilizer management.

Combining the ideas. We put a Justin Rhodes' chicksaw design with the quail hutch on wheels and have a mobile, wire floored hutch. To fertilize the garden, you move the quail. No scratching. No disruption to the garden. Throw some mulch on top and let it percolate during the winter. During garden season, move it to the grass in the yard.

In concept, this would be short. 2'x3'x2' tall enclosures for the quail - single or multiples on a frame. Doors would top entry. I've seen some hutches with top entry and some with side entry. Personal preference? Any negatives to top entry?

Three solid sides. Solid roof and wire mesh floor. Shelf a foot up with a room or weather box. I'm still sketching ideas. Input welcome.
@KikisGirls @BantyChooks - I'm catching up.

I think wire is easy for poop control. A lot of quail make a lot of poop. Trays underneaths to collect poop are easy to dump into the garden too.
If you can get away with moving a tractor daily I say do it. I can not because of my nice dogs.

I think wire is easy for poop control. A lot of quail make a lot of poop. Trays underneaths to collect poop are easy to dump into the garden too.
If you can get away with moving a tractor daily I say do it. I can not because of my nice dogs.
I have 9 quail in a 3 x 2. Haven't changed bedding in months, lol. It drains super well and turns over easily, leaving a nice clean surface for them to walk on. I add some peat moss now and then to keep it from all sneaking out under the pen edge.

I have 9 quail in a 3 x 2. Haven't changed bedding in months, lol. It drains super well and turns over easily, leaving a nice clean surface for them to walk on. I add some peat moss now and then to keep it from all sneaking out under the pen edge.
You don't have a group of nice dogs though.

Back
Top Bottom