ryleezegley

Hatching
May 4, 2020
Northwest Indiana
I have an ~8 week old pullet that has what appears to be a vent prolapse. Disclaimer: I'm not sure if she is a she or a he... It got picked on a couple weeks ago and feathers haven't grown back in yet and obviously shes too young to be laying or crowing yet! I've had chickens for 2 years and I guess I got lucky because I've never had to deal with this before which is why I had a hard time diagnosing it at first!
The photos are of the prolapse when I first discovered it. I bathed her, applied neosporin and vetericyn, and separated her hoping it would take care of itself. Today is day 3 and she is still not better. I've been bathing her daily and today attempted to push and hold it in, however it popped right back out TWICE. I tried again a third time, and she seemed to be crying and resisted it so much so that I felt like I was hurting her so I stopped. I even tried using my pinky finger in case it was the size of my other fingers that made her uncomfortable. I put more neosporin and sugar on it and put her back in isolation and put vitamins/electrolytes in her water.

Am I not trying to push it in correctly? Can this sort of thing work itself out? Is there anything else I can try? I hate to keep trying this and traumatize the poor thing.

She is eating and drinking normally and can still pass poop.

Attachments

• IMG_8205.jpg
    IMG_8205.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8204.jpg
    IMG_8204.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 7
Have you separated her from the others? It looks like it has been pecked or irritated. Is she constipated? That is a common cause of prolapse in a chick. I would offer some chilled coconut oil in small pieces to peck, or some olive oil, mineral oil give in some scrambles egg mash. Encourage water and add a little to chick feed to make it watery.

Have you separated her from the others? It looks like it has been pecked or irritated. Is she constipated? That is a common cause of prolapse in a chick. I would offer some chilled coconut oil in small pieces to peck, or some olive oil, mineral oil give in some scrambles egg mash. Encourage water and add a little to chick feed to make it watery.
She has been separated for 3 days. She's not constipated but she does seem to poop with more ease after I clean it with warm water. I will try the coconut oil and watered down food! I don't have mineral oil at the ready, but would vitamin E oil work?
Thank you!!

Stick with the coconut oil or vegetable/olive oil. As long as she is pooping with ease, she probably won’t need more than once. Gently clean the vent with warm soap and water and fingers—don’t rub the irritated tender skin. Dry with tissue rather than cloth or paper towel. Use the Neosporin 2-3 times a day to keep it moist.

Stick with the coconut oil or vegetable/olive oil. As long as she is pooping with ease, she probably won’t need more than once. Gently clean the vent with warm soap and water and fingers—don’t rub the irritated tender skin. Dry with tissue rather than cloth or paper towel. Use the Neosporin 2-3 times a day to keep it moist.
Will do!! Thank you! What is the benefit of keeping it moist if you don't mind my asking? I'm afraid that if it goes on for a week that the moistness may help infections set in?

Prolapse tissue and wounds must be kept moist or the tissue can dry out and die. If the red prolapse tissue stays inside, and the wounds are healing, you can just use Vetericyn.

Back
Top Bottom