Probably too early to tell, but...

KinTiN

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
I'm interested in finding out what breed of chicken this little one is. It came in with our shipment of Delawares from Hoover's Hatchery, but it's definitely not a Delaware. Gray legs, feet, beak, comb and vent. It's wings are tri-colored, (black, white, brown/tan). The black in the wings could very easily be a very dark brown, but I'm not 100% sure. We will have to keep it separate from all of Delawares when it gets older, but it will have company with some of our other chickens. Do its wing feathers and gray comb/feet/etc. remind anyone of a certain breed?

Attachments

• Chick_feathers.png
    Chick_feathers.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • Chick_beak.png
    Chick_beak.png
    441.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Chick_feet.png
    Chick_feet.png
    571.8 KB · Views: 9
The only two fibro varieties I know they sell are Smokey Pearls and Mystic Onyx. Both are hybrids and yours looks more like a Smokey Pearl. It doesn't match exactly but you often get the odd colored bird with these hybrids. So that's my guess.

"Dot" is now 5 weeks old. I'm still having difficulty identifying her breed, but she sure is a cutie!

Attachments

• Dot_20240522-1.jpg
    Dot_20240522-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Dot_20240522-2.jpg
    Dot_20240522-2.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Dot_20240522-3.jpg
    Dot_20240522-3.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Dot_20240522-4.jpg
    Dot_20240522-4.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 7
"Dot" is now 5 weeks old. I'm still having difficulty identifying her breed, but she sure is a cutie!
I'm guessing a Mystic Onyx.

The only two fibro varieties I know they sell are Smokey Pearls and Mystic Onyx. Both are hybrids and yours looks more like a Smokey Pearl. It doesn't match exactly but you often get the odd colored bird with these hybrids. So that's my guess.
Now that the chick is older and has feathers, I think the color is wrong for a Smokey Pearl (based on what I can see on Hoover's website.) The Smokey Pearls they show are white or nearly white (small amount of black), and I see light-colored feet on both chicks in the photo.

I see that OP's chick has a 5th toe on the left foot (can't tell about the right), and one of the Mystic Onyx chicks in Hoover's photo has a 5th toe as well. Plus Hoovers does say that Mystic Onyx can come in various colors.

Hoover's Mystic Onyx:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html
"These birds were developed from Silkies"
"They do come in a variety of colors from orange to red to the more typical black with red flares."

Of course this is assuming that the descriptions on that website are accurate, and that the pictures are of typically-colored birds. If that is not the case, then I can't say which one OP's chick is more likely to be.

Now that the chick is older and has feathers, I think the color is wrong for a Smokey Pearl (based on what I can see on Hoover's website.) The Smokey Pearls they show are white or nearly white (small amount of black), and I see light-colored feet on both chicks in the photo.

I see that OP's chick has a 5th toe on the left foot (can't tell about the right), and one of the Mystic Onyx chicks in Hoover's photo has a 5th toe as well. Plus Hoovers does say that Mystic Onyx can come in various colors.

Hoover's Mystic Onyx:
"They do come in a variety of colors from orange to red to the more typical black with red flares."

Of course this is assuming that the descriptions on that website are accurate, and that the pictures are of typically-colored birds. If that is not the case, then I can't say which one OP's chick is more likely to be.
When she arrived with the Delawares, she looked like a Delaware, and doesn't resemble the chicks posted on their website, but that's possible! I appreciate the response!

Hoover's Mystic Onyx:

I found this picture on another site. That would be wonderful if she is a Mystic Onyx. :)
1716432156511.png

Back
Top Bottom