Votes: 4 100.0%
  • purina

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Squishychicken

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
North carolina
i use nature wise but purina is the same price. any one have any debates between the two? which one do you guys like best?

I feed fermentes feed. for grown birds: laying pellets, scoop of corn, scoop of oats and poultry vitamin pellets and possibly dried split peas occasionally.

for chicks: chick feed, scoop of oats, scoop of corn and added poultry vitamin pellets.

I don't feed either of these feeds to adult birds however if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Nature Wise. I have always raised my chicks on their starter and the chicks have always thrived well. Never cared for Purina animal feeds.

I've been using Nutrena NatureWise crumbles for a few years, now. My hens love it. I fed NatureSmart Organic for about four years (which I preferred), but it became unavailable in our area. -birds are healthy, thriving, and even laying (and are going into their seventh year). I've never liked the Purina. -produces a ton of dust.

They are both high quality products. I tend to use Nutrena because it is a bit cheaper than the Purina at most of the feed stores around here but I will use whichever is freshest if the price is close.
Unless they put it on sale to move product at one of the stores, the cheapest feed tends to be freshest since that's what most people buy.
I know some of the nutritionists at Purina. I think they do a good job.

I'm curious. What is the quantity of feed you are adding a scoop of corn and a scoop of oats to and what are the poultry vitamin pellets?
"I feed fermented feed. for grown birds: laying pellets, scoop of corn, scoop of oats and poultry vitamin pellets and possibly dried split peas occasionally."

://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rooster-booster-poultry-booster-125-lb?cm_vc=-10005
these are the vitamins.

I use 2 5 gallon buckets to ferment. one contains the chick mix the other laying mix.

I fill a little over half of the bucket for the laying mix. I have no clue what size the scooper is I have had it for 8 years:idunno. 3 scoops of layers feed 2 of chick feed, scoop of corn, scoop of oats and then the poultry vitamins.

then for the teens its half a scoop of oats, half scoop of corn, poultry vitamins a little bit of layers feed and then 3 scoops of chick feed. this fills up a little over a quarter of the bucket.

my rough guess in the scoop size is a quart but I have no clue.

once I use all my feed up I'll go buy the all flock feed of whatever is available at my store.

:thumbsup
I've never used rooster booster. I guess you like the results you get from it. I ferment feed as well - weather permitting. When preparing the birds for breeding season, I use Nutri-Drench in a similar manner. ND goes in the water but RB looks very similar in the nutrient balance.
I also add a bit of kelp to the feed for the micro-nutrients.
I used to use Nature's Grown organic grower. It was great when fermented but I got it through out feed co-op which is out of commission at the time. It was only 16% protein but I would boost that for chicks and molters by adding fishmeal that I got from the same co-op.
I get what you mean by it mixing nicely. The organic grower I was using was coarsely ground so probably had the same consistency to yours with a bit of grain mixed in.
It had a lot of fines that were bound up in the ferment but I don't think I would like feeding it dry.
I much prefer pelleted feed when dry feeding. It comes with several advantages.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom