Quail Dying at 4 weeks

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
A friend of mine had quail that were 4 weeks old and growing quick and healthy. All of a sudden within a 2 day period all had died. The only thing she can think of is the guineas sitting on top of the quail cages trying to peck the quail, but the guineas could not actually reach the quail.

Any idea's to what happened? Could the guineas have literally scared the quail to death?

-Kim

Unless the guineas are carriers of something that the quail are not immune to? That just doesn't make sense...
hu.gif

I got a little more information, but not much.

The quail were Bobwhites. There were Coturnix in a pen just a few feet away and all the Coturnix quail are fine. She believes had it been a disease, it would have affected the other types of quail.

It didn't make sense to me either.

If predators couldn't get in and quail couldn't get out, it couldn't have been a predation. All the birds were intact and no signs of an attack. If it had been an illness or disease, I think the other types of quail would have been affected.

Or are Bobwhites less disease resistant than Coturnix?

This lady raises all types of poultry and fowl, so she knows her stuff. But, this has her thrown for a loop, all she can think of is the guineas scaring them too much.
hmm.png

I don't know what the temperatures were for that time, but wouldn't other birds and quail have been affected? It just seems odd how just her 4 week old Bobwhites died.

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom