rain & wind

slystr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Dallas TX
I guess tonight will be the test for my tractor. It is supposed to rain & have winds in the 60 mile an hour range. If I was going to stake this thing down how would you do it? All I have right now are tent stakes and bungee cords.
I guess I'm glad I figured out how to keep the chicks in the house for another week.

Well, if I was in your situation, I would place the cage in a sheltered area where things like trees or the house can take some of the beating. Then i would use thoes 20 lb concerete bricks or other heavy heavy things and tie thoes down to the bottom of the frame or even the top of the frame every 3-4 feet or so. Keep it all taught and heavy and it should be ok.... then again... I probally don't know what real wind is like up here. Just know it knocks down trees and puts them through the roofs of buildings.

Maybe the wind won't be as hard as they think. It is a little late but I am South of Ft Worth and I had a hoop greenhouse last year similar to your tractor just a lot large and I went to Pets Mart and bouth the dog tie outs that screw into the ground about a foot. I tied them to the lumber on each end and screwed them into the ground and it made it all Spring. I did what someone else said and place it in a corner of the privacty fence that got the least amount of wind. Good Luck it is sure lightning here now!

dog tie outs are a GREAT idea. See this is why I love this forum. I never in a million years would have thought of that. I'm going to pray that the storm peters out as usual by the time it gets here and get the tie outs tmw. Thanks!

With just the bungees and tent stakes I'd run the bungees over the wood (through the wire) and stake it into the ground. If you try to bungee over the top you'll just crush or weaken the wire.

One important thing though -even if you secure the base down, without a screw or nail in each of the pipes the wind will lift them right out of the brackets!

Good luck for now, but I think I'd go with cindydj's suggestion of the twist-in pegs for a more secure and permanent use in the future.

In order to keep the pvc from slipping out of the brackets you can drill a hole through the bracket and pvc and put a screw through and into the wood. Me being in a hurricane and tornado area had to think about high winds when doing my construction.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom