RANT: Tractor Supply won't sell less than six chicks!!!

spacecowgirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Ok, I am seething mad right now.
somad.gif

I went to TSC today to buy two new chicks. I already have four full grown chickens, and although we are expanding our run this weekend by about 5 times it's original size, my husband wants me to limit the new chickens to two or three this year, and maybe we can get a couple more next year. He wants to keep our flock small.

Well, when I get there and request two chicks, they ( there were three employees ) tell me I have to buy six! I told them last year I bought two from them, one died, came back the next day and bought one, and no one said boo about it. They said that person didn't know what they were doing- I said "both of the employees? And the cashier who checked me out?"

I ask "why? What sense does this make?" Then they said it was just store policy. No exceptions. I asked if there was someone higher up or someone I could call about this because that it is absolutely ridiculous!! Lots of people have flocks of two or three birds, and many people just don't have room for any more than that!
he.gif
They said it's not really TSC's fault and there's nothing they can do because it's actually the Dept. of Agriculture that's cracking down and mandating a six chick purchase minimum. Who is the government to tell me how few or many chickens I have to buy???

I've looked online and haven't been able to find this regulation. Also, Mypetchicken.com will sell me 4 chicks (though I'll spend a fortune on shipping and have to wait a few months), so if this regulation is real, how are they getting away with it? I think TS is B-Sing me.
rant.gif

I'm going to write them an email demanding an explanation, but I need to cool down a little first... In the meantime I'm going to get with a friend of ours and see if he will take the extra chicks if I break down and buy the half dozen...

Thanks for listening to my rant, and any info on this policy would be much appreciated!!

I know for shipping purposes (warmth and such) that there has to be a minimum, but I cant imagine why TSC would have such a policy? I would love to hear the response you get from them...

And on a side note, I only ordered a few chicks from Ideal last week and as long as my total was $25 it didnt matter how few I got. What gives with TSC???

That's why I went to a locally owned feedstore. My TSC has the 6-chick minimum, but sells out of chicks so fast that there are hardly 6 left to choose from! They don't order but 25-50 chicks at a time, most of the time when you go in the store all the tubs are empty and the heat lights are off.

Some kind of Chick Days, huh? And the chicks are all locked up so you can barely even see them, and the employees act rude when I want them to get specific chicks. And they never had any EE's last year.
somad.gif

The feedstore let me play with the chicks, and I picked each one out individually. They were so nice! Got some nice chunky, fluffy-cheeked EE's.

"Chick Days" are a joke, completely agree with tinydancer. I stopped going to TSC a while ago, I usually go to my local Co-Op. The prices are better, the people are friendlier. Our co-op started carrying chicks last week and had a much better variety than what I have seen from TSC in the past.
I only go to TSC if they have a sale on something I really need, otherwise I steer clear.

Do you have a local Co-Op or feed store you could get your chicks from instead?

I don't know what's going on. It just doesn't make sense unless it's just a money making ploy on their part? I've spent a FORTUNE there in the past year, and will have to continue to do so since I have no other resource nearby for chicken feed and supplies.

I have never had a problem with them in the past, and have always found them very friendly and helpful. But then they deny me the right to purchase two measly chicks from them? I'd be hurt if I wasn't so mad!

I found an 800 number on their website just now and will call it tomorrow when they reopen, as well as emailing them....I would really like to get to the bottom of this...

Oh, and I don't have a co-op!
sad.png
There is no other store anywhere near here that sells chicks, so other than online, TS is my only option.

Oh, and tinydancer, they were out of EEs today, too, and I asked about it and they said they didn't know if they were getting anymore...sigh...

Last edited:
The reason there's a limit is because of how many people come in wanting just a cute chick or so for Easter, not knowing anything of how to properly care for it and not really caring either.

Sorry but I myself have had someone call up asking for chicks from me who wasn't even aware that chicks needed an environment of over 70 degrees. As in, no heat lamp, no mother hen.
th.gif

I'm pretty darn sure you have other options though - They're called breeders.
wink.png

Last edited:
they were out of EEs today, too, and I asked about it and they said they didn't know if they were getting anymore...sigh...

he.gif
Everytime I ask ANY chick related question at my TSC, it's the same. "What hatchery do your chicks come from?" "When do you usually get chicks in?" Will you ever get any EE's in?" The answer is always, "I DON'T KNOW". And the chicks were under the AC system that was blowing cold air on them, they were all huddled together under the light. It made me sad to see the 4 little bantams left, and I wanted to save them but I couldn't BECAUSE OF THE SIX CHICK MINIMUM
barnie.gif

I called the locally owned store, and she asked me what I was looking for, I said EE, she told me the EXACT DATE she was due for a shipment. I called that morning, chicks were in, so I went on in and got some.

Get an incubator, order some eggs from BYC, and hatch you some chicks!

Back
Top Bottom