Rice and beans?

Beccs Hens

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 3, 2016
I am cleaning out my pantry and discarding or donating (unopened) items. I eat very low carb and thus can't eat most of what I have in stock. So, my question is: Can I feed my hens my rice and legumes (obviously cooked)? What about pasta? How much for a flock of 15 at a time without disturbing their diet, or do I not need to worry about that? They forage and eat organic layer mash. Thank you so much!

Feed them a treat once a day. Each hen could eat about 1/4 cup. (I'm not good with size estimates).

You don't want treats to be more than 5 to 10% of their diet as you want them to eat the balanced feed and scratch for good bugs...not load up on carbs.

Lofmc

They can have your pantry goods as long as you keep the "treats" to less than 10% of their diet. Keep in mind that the carbs you give them (spaghetti and such) are very low in protein and other nutrients, so, those items will be watering down the total protein intake for the day. I would avoid any salty treats.

Feed them a treat once a day. Each hen could eat about 1/4 cup. (I'm not good with size estimates).

You don't want treats to be more than 5 to 10% of their diet as you want them to eat the balanced feed and scratch for good bugs...not load up on carbs.

Lofmc
Very helpful, thank you

They can have your pantry goods as long as you keep the "treats" to less than 10% of their diet. Keep in mind that the carbs you give them (spaghetti and such) are very low in protein and other nutrients, so, those items will be watering down the total protein intake for the day. I would avoid any salty treats.
Ok, thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom