Rooster gasping for air????

Chiko Roll

Hatching
Aug 27, 2015
Hi everyone, wld anybody know why my silky rooster is having trouble breathing? He keeps gasping for air every breath he takes, sometimes he sneezes, like there is something blocking his throat maybe? He is not eating or drinking either??? He is not crowing anymore, no noises at all???

Thank u so much for your reply, it's very distressing to see him gasping like that , especially since I hav no idea how to help him. I have him inside and have been massaging his throat, neck and crop(which is empty) also I have been giving him an antibiotic called triple C? Through a syringe? Have u herd of triple C? If so will that work at all....
1f614.png
I am so worried.....

Thank u so much for your reply, it's very distressing to see him gasping like that , especially since I hav no idea how to help him. I have him inside and have been massaging his throat, neck and crop(which is empty) also I have been giving him an antibiotic called triple C? Through a syringe? Have u herd of triple C? If so will that work at all....
1f614.png
I am so worried.....

I don't know that antibiotic but it sounds ok. give him some water with a syringe 5-6 times per day. you can put little raw honey in water as well. eating is not that much important as drinking. when my chickens were sick I put some cracked corn and wheat in their beak. but make sure he drinks first and don't feed him too much, just a few grains. or you can mix commercial feed with water and give him little with a small spoon - put it in his mouth and if he does not swallow it rinse it with water. remember: little food and more water.

Ok.. I will do all... And hope he can improve... Poor little fellow.. Thank u for your help im a newby to BYC.. So thank u !!!!! I will let u know how we go!!

Just a msg to let you know my rooster is not gasping for air today?!!!
1f600.png
I am still medicating him (how long should I keep doing it?)and hav him in our house in a little pen..hopefully he is going to make a full recovery soon and be back annoying my partner and neighbours every morning !!!!

Just a msg to let you know my rooster is not gasping for air today?!!!
1f600.png
I am still medicating him (how long should I keep doing it?)and hav him in our house in a little pen..hopefully he is going to make a full recovery soon and be back annoying my partner and neighbours every morning !!!!
yippiechickie.gif
glad to hear that.

as I am not familiar with your antibiotic, I am not sure. in severe cases they usually say to use antibiotic for 7-10 days. for full recovery chickens need about 40 days. when he returns to the flock it might be good idea to put oxytetracycline in their water for the rest of time (to make it 40 days). but put 1 teaspoon in 3 liters of water, not more. as you don.t know what he has the others might get it from him. oxytetracycline should help prevent it.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom