Rooster unable to hold his head up

Brissychick

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
up in have a 15 month old rooster unable to lift his head up.

2 days ago in morning rounds my golden campine rooster was unable to hold his head up. He seems a little light on but at the time no other symptoms.

Today one of his wattles has partially swollen and looks dark inside.

The local vet is no help at all other than to offer euthanasia. He occasionally tries to eat and we hand feed him water 3-4 times a day with vitamins and electrolytes in it.

He has shown very little improvement other than he is standing more now and has started to poop.

Should I try antibiotics?
What else can I do for him?

It sounds like wry neck which is only a symptom of brain inflammation or something neurological. The swollen wattle could possibly be from a respiratory infection or fowl cholera. Does it look injured? Or could it have become frostbitten from getting wet during freezing weather at night? Can you post any picture of the neck or wattles? You could try some vitamins including thiamine (vitamin B1,) E, and selenium found in egg.

It sounds like wry neck to me as well. I've had many chickens with wry neck. I would treat them the vitamin E softgels, and I haven't lost a single one since I started that. I hope that helps, and I hope your rooster gets better.

71C6EE69-71D8-424A-80E3-BF0C68032160.jpeg 672A6845-3EC4-44D4-A414-F34D01DC721D.jpeg A4A205DF-F76C-46E9-9527-8E82A173B18C.jpeg
It sounds like wry neck which is only a symptom of brain inflammation or something neurological. The swollen wattle could possibly be from a respiratory infection or fowl cholera. Does it look injured? Or could it have become frostbitten from getting wet during freezing weather at night? Can you post any picture of the neck or wattles? You could try some vitamins including thiamine (vitamin B1,) E, and selenium found in egg.

Thank you very very very much for your reply. I've had wry neck before with my araucanas (in fact I have one now he was spooked by a branch hitting the coop). This feels different but I treat him for it. There's no confusion or twisting of the neck and he can walk forward when he does move. He can't eat or drink even when I hold his head up. He can't hold his wings up. I've finally managed to get some cooked egg into him shoving it into his throat. He seems to be slightly improved today. Previously he couldn't swallow. The weather doesn't drop near freezing as we're in the Subtropics.

I can't see any injuries. There's a lot of spiders around at the moment. I've started wondering if he's either been bitten or he's eaten one.

I'll start treatment for wry neck.

It sounds like wry neck to me as well. I've had many chickens with wry neck. I would treat them the vitamin E softgels, and I haven't lost a single one since I started that. I hope that helps, and I hope your rooster gets better.

I'll try the soft gels. I'll try anything at this stage. I thought he was dead the other night. He wasn't moving and his breathing was shallow. He can at least swallow now so I can treat him better.

Wry neck shows itself differently in some chickens. I usually prick the softgel with a toothpick, and squeeze the oil into the children's beak.
Good luck with him.

Back
Top Bottom