Shipping chicks this time of year?

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
Is it normal for hatcheries to include a heat pack when shipping chicks this time of year?

I ordered from this same hatchery this exact same time last year and dont remember a heat pack in that box.

Just trying to understand how 4 of 6 chicks could be DOA when the hatchery is one state away and shipment time from when the box was accepted at the post office to when I received it was just about only 20 hours.

The two survivors seem to be fairing well.

1716326777249.png

Is it normal for hatcheries to include a heat pack when shipping chicks this time of year?
Six is not enough for them to heat up a shipping box so some hatcheries look at the weather forecast and include a heat pack if it is to be cool. Each hatchery has its own policies so only they actually know why they did what they did with that heat pack.

Just trying to understand how 4 of 6 chicks could be DOA when the hatchery is one state away and shipment time from when the box was accepted at the post office to when I received it was just about only 20 hours.
From the time those chicks left the hatchery until they showed up with you they were in the hands of the shippers. That is the post office but could also include a trucking line or airline. I have no idea what happened. But I'd discuss it with the hatchery when you call them about the dead chicks. You should get a refund or new chicks. Most hatcheries have an arrive alive guarantee.

Makes sense. One of the DOA chicks had blood around its nares. So even tho the box looked fine, they still could have been knocked around I guess.

The hatchery has already been contacted. Since they have a 48 hr live guarantee, they recommended I give the two survivors some time to make sure they are doing ok, and then they will either replace or refund at my request. I'm on the fence so far. If both survive I might just call it good enough and ask for a refund.

Back
Top Bottom