Sick chicken and I'm inexperienced, please help?

Not that I can smell? Is it possible she has Coccidiosi but can't see worms in her poop? She pooped a few minutes ago and it was mostly clearish watery. I'm looking at a corid treatment now for everyone including her. Would that help her or make things worse do you think?

I'm just at a loss for what could be wrong with her when there's so many things it could be 😪

Not that I can smell? Is it possible she has Coccidiosi but can't see worms in her poop? She pooped a few minutes ago and it was mostly clearish watery. I'm looking at a corid treatment now for everyone including her. Would that help her or make things worse do you think?
You won't see any worms for coccidiosis, since coccidia aren't worms.
Are her poops runny or bloody?

Have you ever wormed them?
What's their diet?
Have you given calcium citrate in case it's egg binding?
I just got the calcium citrate tablets. Do I give her a whole one? Or break it up ?

No I have never dewormed them and they eat layer pellets and some chicken scratch some through the day I throw to them. Maybe 2 handfuls

I just got the calcium citrate tablets. Do I give her a whole one? Or break it up ?

No I have never dewormed them and they eat layer pellets and some chicken scratch some through the day I throw to them. Maybe 2 handfuls
A whole one, just pop it in her mouth.
You've out ruled crop issues, yes?

Not yet really, I felt it and it felt squishy but not hard but up in her neck feels hard. Not sure if that's a bone or what? I'm unfamiliar and new to all of this sorry. I feel like I'm coming off as a dumb a**...lol If it is a crop issue would the tablet work or make or worse?

Not yet really, I felt it and it felt squishy but not hard but up in her neck feels hard. Not sure if that's a bone or what? I'm unfamiliar and new to all of this sorry. I feel like I'm coming off as a dumb a**...lol If it is a crop issue would the tablet work or make or worse?
Don’t feel like that! I’m new to chickens too and have my fair share of issues popping up. We will learn as we go! There are a ton of kind and knowledgeable folks here that are always happy to help 😁

Giving calcium to a hen is like giving her food or water. She needs these things regardless of her current health crisis, so no harm will be done if calcium isn't one of her issues. If it is, calcium can save her life if she is experiencing a deficiency. Calcium is needed for bones and feathers and making egg shells, but it's also crucial to keep her heart beating.

Just this past week we had a hen that was egg bound die immediately after resolving an egg binding episode. In such cases, a calcium deficiency can cause the egg binding, but all the available blood calcium goes to making a shell so the egg can be expelled while none is left to keep the heart working. Early intervention with calcium is simple, safe, and may save a life, preventing a heart attack in the hen struggling with the stuck egg.

Back
Top Bottom