Sick hen

sarahconnor

Songster
5 Years
Jul 17, 2018
I have a hen who is limping. I turned her over and she has a cauliflower looking area in her vent. It’s red. She is also breathing labored. Any clues? Those are the best pics I could take as I’m alone this am to take the picture. She sits a lot also hides a bit in the run. It looks like a tiny cauliflower and is red. It’s been wet and rainy here too. Her foot is fine on the side where she is limping. TY

Attachments

• 740E3B32-23E1-473D-AA43-581CF4837D2C.jpeg
    740E3B32-23E1-473D-AA43-581CF4837D2C.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 7CB2EB42-AF29-41C2-96CB-2DFFC9220949.jpeg
    7CB2EB42-AF29-41C2-96CB-2DFFC9220949.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 022C24DF-FF81-4890-8D1E-0FEA55C3B1C3.jpeg
    022C24DF-FF81-4890-8D1E-0FEA55C3B1C3.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 6
When was her last egg?
Is she pooping?

I'd give her Calcium Citrate with D3 once daily for 7 days. Look her over for lice and mites and see that her crop is emptying.

What you are seeing is the Vent (Cloaca) and the opening to the reprouductive system and intestines. All that meets at the Vent.

I would suspect that she's having trouble expelling an egg or lash material. Possible she may be having trouble pooping too.

I would not lay her on her back nor would I pick her up a lot and hold her if she's showing signs of labored breathing. It's stressful and you put unnecessary pressure on her air sacs and abdomen.

Do you note any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

When was her last egg?
Is she pooping?

I'd give her Calcium Citrate with D3 once daily for 7 days. Look her over for lice and mites and see that her crop is emptying.

What you are seeing is the Vent (Cloaca) and the opening to the reprouductive system and intestines. All that meets at the Vent.

I would suspect that she's having trouble expelling an egg or lash material. Possible she may be having trouble pooping too.

I would not lay her on her back nor would I pick her up a lot and hold her if she's showing signs of labored breathing. It's stressful and you put unnecessary pressure on her air sacs and abdomen.

Do you note any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?
Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. When I turned her over, I had her cradled in my arm like an infant, and she was very comfortable with that. My birds trust me tremendously and I’m close with all of them. I didn’t palpate her for abdominal fluid. She didn’t look too bloated, but I can certainly do that.
How much calcium citrate should I give her?
I have some at the house now and I do have Nutridrench nutrients that are liquid that I can also give her so I’ll start her on that first thing in the morning and I’ll massage her tummy in case she’s egg bound as well , I’m not sure she is laying. She’s an older girl maybe 4 1/2 five years old already and I never cull my birds when they stop laying. They can enjoy their retirement. I’ll check in with you tomorrow and let you know how things are going.

Back
Top Bottom