Silkie and leghorn mix?

KarateHorse

Chirping
Oct 13, 2016
NC
I don't know where else to post this so I am going to post it here. I have a pen of silkies and we also have a pen of standard size chickens. We would like to hatch some frizzles so we were going to take one of the leghorn hens and put her with a silkie rooster. We put them together and the silkie rooster immediately started trying to breed the leghorn. The silkie would grab her but could not climb on her. She is the smallest hen we have and he is the biggest silkie rooster we have but he still can't get on her. They are about the same size. We broke them up after a minute or two. Would he eventually breed her or would he just hurt her?
Also what is a frizzle? Is it just another chicken crossed with a silkie?
What is a sizzle?

A frizzle is a chicken that has the frizzle gene. It causes the feathers to curl up and around like chrysanthemum petals. Here are some of mine:

A sizzle is a silkie that has this gene, or a bird from a breeding project working towards getting frizzled silkie are also sometimes called sizzles.

As for whether he would have mated her, they probably eventually would have figured it out. However if she kept resisting him it's possible she could have been injured, yes. If you want frizzles putting a regular leghorn in with a silkie isn't going to get you any. You need a bird that has the frizzle gene to breed more frizzles.

How do you get a frizzle gene? Can you get them from breeding silkies? Or is it just another breed of chicken?

How do you get a frizzle gene? Can you get them from breeding silkies? Or is it just another breed of chicken?

Frizzle is not a breed, it is a gene. You get frizzled birds by breeding them from birds that already have the gene. Breeding a silkie to another bird that doesn't have the gene doesn't create the gene. Silkies don't have anything to do with it, although you can breed the frizzle gene into them and create frizzled silkies, which are then usually called sizzles.

If you want frizzles, you'll have to get ahold of a bird that has the gene and breed it to your other birds. You never breed two frizzles together because you never want a bird to get two copies of the gene; it causes feather problems and other issues.

A bird with one copy of the frizzle gene will express it and will pass it to 50% of its offspring.

Back
Top Bottom