Silkie chicken run- leave it, sand or pine shavings?

LeslieSB

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
Hi All, my first post is about the floor to the coop and run. Can I leave the dirt, wood chips that I currently have for the run? Easy to get pine shavings curbside from TSC. Read a lot about sand but harder to get considering how much I need and the times but want to do the best I can. Can I put the sand right on top and do I have to surround it so it doesn't run off. Also thinking of doing the blackjack 57 on the coop floor. What's working? Live in central coast CA so weather is 70-80's. Added a pic example of what I'm building but covering the run and the current location, also a few of my chicks- 6 weeks. Crossing my fingers they're hens but some looking like cockerels that I can't keep. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Can I leave the dirt, wood chips that I currently have for the run?

Yes, you can.

Can I put the sand right on top and do I have to surround it so it doesn't run off.

It's probably good to have some kind of edge in any case--shavings get kicked out, sand gets kicked out or washed out, and so forth.

Some people like sand, some do not.

I suggest you start with what's there, and see if it works well for you. (Might as well try the easiest thing first!) If it does not work well, then consider how it's not working, and see what other solution might best fix it.

I too am wondering about the run. I want to try shavings. right now its dirt. They are dragging mud on their feet to the nest boxes (not a lot, just enough to get some on the eggs) and I want to try and help keep their feet cleaner. Plus with the blowing rain the bigger run, even though it has a roof and half sided, the floor gets wet and muddy halfway.
Sand or shavings?

Attachments

• 20200920_130435.jpg
    20200920_130435.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 30
I too am wondering about the run. I want to try shavings. right now its dirt.... Plus with the blowing rain the bigger run, even though it has a roof and half sided, the floor gets wet and muddy halfway.
Sand or shavings?

I would vote shavings or wood chips.
If available, I would add other dry plant things too--leaves, wood chips, hay or straw, etc.
Mixing those kinds of things ends up sort of like a compost pile, sort of like the ground in a forest. It gradually decomposes from the bottom, and the chickens like to scratch through it to look for bugs and worms. If it's deep enough, the top stays mostly dry and mostly clean.

I have not used sand, but have read about it.
My understanding is that sand should not be mixed with anything else, and should be kept dry. You have to regularly scoop out the poop (like a cat's litter box.)
Some people think sand is great, some people complain that they tried it and had a stinky mess. I think climate and amount of rain makes a big difference, and exact management details probably make a difference too.

I would vote shavings or wood chips.
If available, I would add other dry plant things too--leaves, wood chips, hay or straw, etc.
Mixing those kinds of things ends up sort of like a compost pile, sort of like the ground in a forest. It gradually decomposes from the bottom, and the chickens like to scratch through it to look for bugs and worms. If it's deep enough, the top stays mostly dry and mostly clean.

I have not used sand, but have read about it.
My understanding is that sand should not be mixed with anything else, and should be kept dry. You have to regularly scoop out the poop (like a cat's litter box.)
Some people think sand is great, some people complain that they tried it and had a stinky mess. I think climate and amount of rain makes a big difference, and exact management details probably make a difference too.
I put shavings down today. Since the run is mostly dry it should work out good. They immediately started scratching more than usual. That's a good thing.

A vote for leave the run as real earth and board the coop base for security. You can put what works best on the coop floor if you feel for some reason it's necessary. I don't put any bedding on coop floors. The chickens either roost, or sleep in a nest box. Bedding is for beds/nests.

Back
Top Bottom