Silkie feet

Rosiecheeks

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2017
i was given a silkie hen from a neighbor who was moving a couple months ago. Super friendly and lovable. Turned out to be a rooster. Surprise surprise.. anyways I never owned a silkie and new to owning chickens. He seemed to be walking funny so i looked at his feet. Either they are really dirty and I need to wash them or something else is going on?? Please help. ,I have attached pictures below

Attachments

• EE19995B-59F6-4BA3-A714-0D2BBAB556FF.jpeg
    EE19995B-59F6-4BA3-A714-0D2BBAB556FF.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 5BB8EB58-8238-4FB8-A0D4-CE1918A18544.jpeg
    5BB8EB58-8238-4FB8-A0D4-CE1918A18544.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 28A46468-40D9-45F4-974C-1D7901634662.jpeg
    28A46468-40D9-45F4-974C-1D7901634662.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 60
It looks like he has Scaly Leg Mite and possibly an accumulation of dirt/feces on the feet.
Give his feet a good soaking in warm epsom salts to help soften up some of that buildup, try to gently remove what you can. You may need to soak the feet over the course of several days to remove the hardened debris without damaging the skin.

Once you get the feet cleaned up better, re-post some photos. Also look at the bottom of the feet and toes for any signs of bumblefoot or infection.
Apply an oil (coconut, castor, vaseline) or Nu Stock to the feet to smother the mites and promote healing.

Re-apply your oil/cream, etc. a couple of times a week. You can soak the legs/feet daily if you wish. With feathered feet/legs you probably need to work the oil in well so it makes contact with the skin.

While you are at it, check through his feathers for lice and mites.

Well for one....feet are very dirty and do need cleaned...other than that it looks like he has a pretty rough case of leg mites...I personally dip my chickens feet in gasoline or vet rx and then spray with baby oil....some people just use baby oil or mineral oil...I would take a brush and scrub the bottoms of the feet and the leg then put the oil on it....it will need to be completely drenched with the oil to where it is dripping off the feet...I would do that at least once a week and make sure to scrub one a week to bc the raised scales will eventually come off.

It looks like he has Scaly Leg Mite and possibly an accumulation of dirt/feces on the feet.
Give his feet a good soaking in warm epsom salts to help soften up some of that buildup, try to gently remove what you can. You may need to soak the feet over the course of several days to remove the hardened debris without damaging the skin.

Once you get the feet cleaned up better, re-post some photos. Also look at the bottom of the feet and toes for any signs of bumblefoot or infection.
Apply an oil (coconut, castor, vaseline) or Nu Stock to the feet to smother the mites and promote healing.

Re-apply your oil/cream, etc. a couple of times a week. You can soak the legs/feet daily if you wish. With feathered feet/legs you probably need to work the oil in well so it makes contact with the skin.

While you are at it, check through his feathers for lice and mites.
When I apply the oil to the feet. Won’t all the dirt stick to the oil and his feet once I let him outside again? And he has mites on his feet? Will then spread to my other chickens or could it have already?

It means , silkies have feathers on their toes and feet.... they need footcare others do not . I had one come outside hopping when I looked she had a ball of dry poop stuck to her foot,

After we finished laughing ,
We soaked her feet and trimmed the feathers .

I hope you quarantined him before adding him to your hens ,
...otherwise they could all have what he has

Do silkie chicken feet usually require cleaning normally or do you think it’s possibly because he does like to hang out in a muddy area in the yard where the ducks are.
The coop is pretty clean and he free ranges. Are cutting of the nails also something that’s done. On one of his toes it curls in and it kind of looks like his nail might be stabbing his foot when he walks.. but it also just could have been how his feet where while I was holding him.

It means , silkies have feathers on their toes and feet.... they need footcare others do not . I had one come outside hopping when I looked she had a ball of dry poop stuck to her foot,

After we finished laughing ,
We soaked her feet and trimmed the feathers .

I hope you quarantined him before adding him to your hens ,
...otherwise they could all have what he has
I did not quarantine him. How do I know if all the other chickens have what he has. And if I trim the feathers does that hurt them. How do I do it right.

Back
Top Bottom