Soft shell, but sand/bumps on the eggs

_thelaurent

In the Brooder
May 8, 2018
Hi!

Both of my girls started laying this month. My first layer hlgive us great eggs. Her sister, who started about a week or two later, always had little sandy piles of bumps at tops of her eggs. So I switched their food to a 16% layer crumble. Chicky 1. still gives us great eggs. Chicky 2. just gave us one today that had a partially soft shell and the sandy deposit. Now I am unsure of what to do. The bumps say "too much" calcium to me, the partially soft shell says "not enough" calcium. Thoughts on what to do? These symptoms seem conflicting. She is in great health. Thanks!!

Sounds like a new layer hiccup completely irrelevant to calcium level... as the calcium comes from the keel bone they will sacrifice their own body calcium to lay hard eggs. The shell gland is either still working itself out or SHE may have a defective shell gland. But so early on I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

16% refers to the amount of protein. I never use layer as that's too little protein for my dual purpose birds. Layer often has around 4-5% calcium which will be enough for *most* layers. Oyster shell offered on the side can be useful as SOME birds absorb things differently or process not as well.

I would either just give her system a chance to work it out. Or I MIGHT try offering some tums for a quick calcium uptake. For me probably the earlier than the later.

Also... depending on what treats you give... it could diminish your calcium or protein content so try to be mindful.

Congrats on your new layers! :wee

Back
Top Bottom