Someone talk me out of bantams

I would not talk you out of it.
I love the bantam breeds.

Cons
Little eggs
Always going broody
Usually sold straight run (but the roosters are so cute!)

Pros
Cute little eggs with lots of yolk
Always broody/great mother hens
Friendlier as a general rule
The roosters!
The rooster get along well with each other, for the most part
The hen to rooster ratio is smaller
Less food consumption
Nooooooo

Are the roosters any quieter than standard-sized roos? I'm not going to lie, between other peoples' stories about their roos and finally getting a wonderful little quail roo, I'm really kind of interested in keeping a few. The downside is the crowing - chicken roos are so much louder than any quail roo.

Nooooooo

Are the roosters any quieter than standard-sized roos? I'm not going to lie, between other peoples' stories about their roos and finally getting a wonderful little quail roo, I'm really kind of interested in keeping a few. The downside is the crowing - chicken roos are so much louder than any quail roo.
I mean it depends. My roo, you can't hear (It's a silkie) unless you go outside. It honestly depends on the personality and the breed.

I love my d’Anvers!
However, bantams are susceptible to predation so they can’t be free ranged with the expectation that they will return. (In evidence, the free ranged
F772F84F-780A-4527-A51A-5BAEF7EB2BA1.jpeg
63B9AAE9-F17D-4D0D-B806-E9F7C60956E9.jpeg
3E36356A-59BA-4A3A-B7FE-B381CE35E762.jpeg
6706D146-0E58-4F75-A811-851ACD028412.jpeg
BFA9CDB2-5987-4C60-B397-AADC32783781.jpeg
BF1F1E45-C8F4-41F8-B750-7311C4F0F068.jpeg
male pictured did get eaten)

Feathered feet aren't a problem in my opinion. My silkies has a vaulted skull and no problems in the 6 months I've had her. But are you asking this to figure out if bantams are worth it. If so they are.
Oh lord, I'm just trying to avoid getting impulse chickens. I've considered bantams - we're thinking of planting down some decent cover in the new backyard and getting everything set up before chick season next year - and it's honestly just going to be a semi-pet backyard flock. We don't need tons of eggs or meat, though we're willing to cull birds if necessary, so the usual 'cons' about bantams aren't a big deal.

Except for the flying, to be fair. I don't want the chickens flapping their way to someone else's yard...but I have a feeling you'll be recommending silkies to me since they can't fly, haha.

Do they tend to be flightier? I know they're better able to fly, and I know some breeds are more skittish, but I just want to pet a bird dangit.

Wah! I've considered silkies, but I just can't agree with the feathered feet. Or vaulted skulls. I know it's possible to find silkies without either, but idk I'm trying to avoid impulse-buying birds right now.
Some bantam breeds are flightier.
Bantam breeds as a rule are better fliers (and can be quite hard to catch) but many are super friendly and that makes them easy to catch.
That’s the case for d’Anvers and bantam Buckeyes anyway.
D’Anvers are one of the best breeds at flying.

Ah, there it is. There's the reason not to get bantams right this second (not that I think I can without some serious work - looks like most hatcheries don't have d'Anvers available). It doesn't solve my problem in the long term since we're thinking to put netting over the entire yard in our new place, but at least I'm rethinking the impulse.

To be honest, I had been considering larger breeds already for that exact reason, though I had been looking into standard Orpingtons and Wyandottes and such rather than the big game chickens. The Husband thinks they look cute, and he wants a chicken he can pet without bending down (which...the man is over 6ft, this is a literal tall order) so...

But now I'm thinking...if I make an aviary for the quail anyway, maybe....
my bantams were fine with quail! They have somewhat different feed requirements, but a higher protein all-flock feed should be fine for both to share.

I bet he needs some buff Orpingtons, they are like big fluffy golden retriever chickens. They do devour your feed costs, but its worth it since they are good layers too.

game chickens aren't more of the petting type, they are super super flighty. There is an exception, however: Aseel chickens are more friendly natured (tallest chicken breed group), but they are bred for fighting and can hurt your other birds.

Brahma chickens are also big and pettable.

I mean, my chickens are literally backyard chickens with a pretty big yard. My dogs will eat anything that moves. So when when we bring the dogs in all the neighborhood predators are dramatized from our dogs.

Oh lord, I'm just trying to avoid getting impulse chickens. I've considered bantams - we're thinking of planting down some decent cover in the new backyard and getting everything set up before chick season next year - and it's honestly just going to be a semi-pet backyard flock. We don't need tons of eggs or meat, though we're willing to cull birds if necessary, so the usual 'cons' about bantams aren't a big deal.

Except for the flying, to be fair. I don't want the chickens flapping their way to someone else's yard...but I have a feeling you'll be recommending silkies to me since they can't fly, haha.
Silkies can't jump more than a feet high. Other bantams I can't say the same.

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂😂😂
* meanwhile my oegb roosters try to kill each other every minute
I only have one full oegb and he is the king. He keeps all of the other little men in line. He had 3 other roosters and one 8 month old cockerel in his pen. He rules with iron spurs.
I have more trouble out of the two cochin boys in the other pen.
I hope yours settle down.

Back
Top Bottom