Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
I did not know that Fla had elevations of 200 ft.

Buried?? Basement?
No one in my area has a basement I'm aware of. Dig too far you hit water.
I would love a basement!
We are building ino the ide of a hill, then covering much of the house. Its called "earth berming". Uses the thermal mass of the ground to moderate temperature swings throughout the day. But poses some serious engineering challenges as well - mostly moisture control (a french drain will seperate my home from the soil on three sides - a french drain more than 15' "tall") and air exchange. The house is so air tight you will have trouble closing the door, getting fresh air in, or dealign with kitchen odors (for instance, and among others) absent some additional air handling equipment.

We are building ino the ide of a hill, then covering much of the house. Its called "earth berming". Uses the thermal mass of the ground to moderate temperature swings throughout the day. But poses some serious engineering challenges as well - mostly moisture control (a french drain will seperate my home from the soil on three sides - a french drain more than 15' "tall") and air exchange. The house is so air tight you will have trouble closing the door, getting fresh air in, or dealign with kitchen odors (for instance, and among others) absent some additional air handling equipment.
Sounds interesting and smart!
Since it will be part of the hobby farm, hope we get to see photos of the build.

Back
Top Bottom