Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Got hold of FWC.
@NatJ was 99% of the way there.

You can't hunt (or take) grey fox in FL because FWC hasn't established a season for them, nor declared them fair game. However, my fox, in my circumstances, qualifies as a nuisance animal. As it is on my own property, no permit required. And as my property is in the middle of nowhere, they'd prefer I engage in "self-help".

Not sure I want to - my wife did more reading, suspicion is its a female grey fox very active, trying to feed its kits. Activitylevel should drop dramatically in the next month or so. and is likely a problem because the neighbo just knocked down about 20 acres - harvested some timber, left the rest on the ground. Disrupted a lot of nearby habitat.

If not taking the fox means fewer mice and rats, I'm willing to make that trade.
And all those little foxes are learning what poultry tastes like.... and where to get them soon.

That said.... I haven't gone after the fox I seen. I had one lame rooster tore up and I had to put down. 3 hens lost feathers but are ok... I'm not sure if it was the fox or a pair of coyotes I seen a week later. I was in the house less than a half hour between 8 and 8:30 am when it happened.

Got hold of FWC.

You can't hunt (or take) grey fox in FL because FWC hasn't established a season for them, nor declared them fair game. However, my fox, in my circumstances, qualifies as a nuisance animal. As it is on my own property, no permit required. And as my property is in the middle of nowhere, they'd prefer I engage in "self-help".

Not sure I want to - my wife did more reading, suspicion is its a female grey fox very active, trying to feed its kits. Activitylevel should drop dramatically in the next month or so. and is likely a problem because the neighbo just knocked down about 20 acres - harvested some timber, left the rest on the ground. Disrupted a lot of nearby habitat.

If not taking the fox means fewer mice and rats, I'm willing to make that trade.
I like your thoughts.

Got hold of FWC.

I'm glad you got the legalities figured out!

Now you can decide to let the fox stay or to remove it, but either way you can act on the decision you make, without needing to fuss with getting a permit or something like that.

Just passed my latest npip recertification.
Congratulations.
Not much else, didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped last weekend.
I didn't either. Or the weekend before, or the week before, or the month...

So, should I work harder or lower my expectations?

I have realized that I need to listen to what my joints/muscles are trying to tell me.

"Uh, Sally, could you give us a rest for a few hours? Arthur is visiting, and uh, well, you know what a pain in the wrist/hip he is."

That's the collective being nice, and giving me a warning.

"Hey, ol' bat! You ain't a kid anymore! Stop acting like you think you might be!"

That's what I hear the next day, or the day after that.

Back
Top Bottom