Straining to poop, small prolapsed vent

CoastChick

Chirping
Jan 22, 2022
Northern California
One of my (3 week old) chicks seems to struggle with big (painful) poops and currently is slightly prolapsed.
I’ve witnessed her having a large poop, and “cheep cheep cheeping” like there’s discomfort, so I’m of the mindset that she’s straining from that, not heat? However I know I read somewhere that too much heat can be a cause for prolapse? She has a weird preference to stay on the topside of her brooder plate, not under. Spends much of the day and evening up there. No heat lamp, but I do leave a light on in the room over night. She doesn’t have indications for pasty butt. But she does have large poops. Normal coloring. Normal smells.
I’ve helped her have a warm water soak (she was not pleased) and applied some coconut oil last night (for helping with lubrication??) and this morning picked up some preparation H cream with aloe and vit E (and ointment) for her. I used the cream this morning - ointment says it doesn’t have the “spicy cooling” but this is a product I (thankfully) have never used, so I‘m reluctant to put something on such a delicate area that I’m not sure of how it would feel.
Which is better? Cream or ointment? How often? What to look for in regards to results?
Thoughts, advice?
Other information -
She’s on medicated chick starter crumbles (MannaPro) and Chick Grit. Doesn’t get other snacks, but we did try to give her yogurt last night. Very active - eats and drinks well and have probiotic powder in water.

Attachments

• 6C86EE96-531A-4FE0-B0D6-76CBDC33C541.jpeg
    6C86EE96-531A-4FE0-B0D6-76CBDC33C541.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 44
The oil needs to go inside the chick. Use coconut oil and divide a teaspoon full into pea size pieces, then chill until solid. Feed the pieces into the chick's beak. All of it.

Chicks can get into this predicament by eating hard to digest foods and not consuming adequate grit. Is that something you think could have relevance in this chick's situation?

How high is the heat plate above the chicks' backs? Since heat rises, sometimes a chick needing more heat will plant themselves on top to snatch more heat. Being chilled can cause poop issues as much as being overheated.

An alternative to Prep H would be cortisone cream. Prep H is warned to be slightly toxic to chickens and it may be best to avoid it.

The oil needs to go inside the chick. Use coconut oil and divide a teaspoon full into pea size pieces, then chill until solid. Feed the pieces into the chick's beak. All of it.

Chicks can get into this predicament by eating hard to digest foods and not consuming adequate grit. Is that something you think could have relevance in this chick's situation?

How high is the heat plate above the chicks' backs? Since heat rises, sometimes a chick needing more heat will plant themselves on top to snatch more heat. Being chilled can cause poop issues as much as being overheated.

An alternative to Prep H would be cortisone cream. Prep H is warned to be slightly toxic to chickens and it may be best to avoid it.
I know I see her eat grit… not as often as she eats the crumble though?
And the plate is at back height when seated. It looks like it would need to be raised to me - but as both chicks CAN get under it, I’ve stuck to the 5º/week guideline - even though I’d like it to be higher if I was a chick.

What kind of heat plate do you have? Can you adjust it so that it's angled? I put mine at a slight angle, lower on one side than the other, so the birds can pick a comfortable distance. Some like to be touching it sometimes, and sometimes farther away. If your plate is not adjustable you may be able to raise one side by sitting it on top of something to make it that way (make sure it's stable). I usually have one side low enough that they can just squeeze in there, and then the other side a bit higher an inch or 2 higher.

One of my (3 week old) chicks seems to struggle with big (painful) poops and currently is slightly prolapsed.
I’ve witnessed her having a large poop, and “cheep cheep cheeping” like there’s discomfort, so I’m of the mindset that she’s straining from that, not heat? However I know I read somewhere that too much heat can be a cause for prolapse? She has a weird preference to stay on the topside of her brooder plate, not under. Spends much of the day and evening up there. No heat lamp, but I do leave a light on in the room over night. She doesn’t have indications for pasty butt. But she does have large poops. Normal coloring. Normal smells.
I’ve helped her have a warm water soak (she was not pleased) and applied some coconut oil last night (for helping with lubrication??) and this morning picked up some preparation H cream with aloe and vit E (and ointment) for her. I used the cream this morning - ointment says it doesn’t have the “spicy cooling” but this is a product I (thankfully) have never used, so I‘m reluctant to put something on such a delicate area that I’m not sure of how it would feel.
Which is better? Cream or ointment? How often? What to look for in regards to results?
Thoughts, advice?
Other information -
She’s on medicated chick starter crumbles (MannaPro) and Chick Grit. Doesn’t get other snacks, but we did try to give her yogurt last night. Very active - eats and drinks well and have probiotic powder in water.
If it is a prolapse, definitely get some blood work done for disease. Treat it with softer foods, perhaps best to soak food in water to increase liquid intake if stools are difficult to pass, straining. More greens in diet

If it is a prolapse, definitely get some blood work done for disease. Treat it with softer foods, perhaps best to soak food in water to increase liquid intake if stools are difficult to pass, straining. More greens in diet
Welcome To BYC @Scarlet628 :frow:frow:frow:frow

Interesting take on getting blood work done for a prolapse. What disease would the vet be looking for?

Back
Top Bottom