Stress, heat stroke, shock what else can I do?

SGH

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
Hi all, I have a new flock that is about 2 1/2 months old. Yesterday we had landscapers come and do our yard, and unfortunately they weedeated around the coop while I was taking a shower. Chickies were free ranging near the coop when this happened, and I came out to scared chickens who had panicked and ran everywhere. I found them all quickly except 2. It was very hot out, at least 100 degrees.
My 2 polish Pullets were missing for approximately 2 hours. I found one dead at my neighbors and the other laying beak down, wings spread out with hundreds of ants on her. Surprisingly still alive. I placed her in cool water, not cold and proceeded to get the ants off. I do not believe the ants stung her as they literally got all over both of my arms when I was carrying her home and I did not get bit. She did go from an almost limp state to perked up a little and holds her head up in a sitting position.
I took a syringe and gave her a couple cc’s of save a chick yesterday and last night. She will chirp to me some when I talk to her.
Unfortunately this morning she isn’t any better. She hasn’t moved, breaths shallow and just sits there.
I’m sure she’s probably going to die, but wondering if there is anything else I can do for her?

This is tragic. Unfortunately, extreme heat takes its toll very quickly on chickens. I'm so sorry you were too late for the one who died, but the fact that the other Polish has survived this far is encouraging. Don't give up.

You need to continue the electrolytes. If you run out of Save a Chick, you can use Gatoraid or Pedialyte or make your own using recipes on the internet.

It's also important you keep your patient inside where it's cooler until she fully recovers, then gradually re-introduce her to the hot temps outside by carefully monitoring her exposure.

Wow, so sorry about your hen. Heat stroke can take a while to recover from. I would keep giving her electrolytes and keep her at a reasonably warm temp, not cool, at this point. Try to encourage her to eat, and get fluids in her. Try some scrambled egg, or wet her normal food to make a mash. Watermelon may be a good way to get fluids into her. If temps are reasonable outside, maybe take her out, holding her, for a bit, and see if being around her flock mates will perk her up. Lots of TLC, and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom