Suspect heron ate duckling

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi there was an egret or heron on my pond yesterday just as I stepped out for an errand. There has also been a large jet black bird of prey (size of a vulture but sounded like a crow and flew better than a vulture)..there are ~30 ducks of various ages on the pond. When I got back 9 of 10 white Pekin ducklings (1 mo) were waiting by the barn to go inside. Did one of the larger birds get the Pekin? Should the grass around the pond be mowed so they can run away faster? How to deter these large birds of prey?

Herons will eat ducklings but a month old Pekin i think it may have a problem with But plenty of other birds of prey waiting in line to carry one off and eat or feed to their young. What about snapping turtles they will also eat ducklings even adults by drowning them first There are so many predators out their waiting for the opportunity.

I did see a snapper in the pond last year. Have tried several times to bait it with a lite but no luck. The adults often get spooked on the water as well. Maybe that was it.

Herons will eat ducklings but a month old Pekin i think it may have a problem with But plenty of other birds of prey waiting in line to carry one off and eat or feed to their young. What about snapping turtles they will also eat ducklings even adults by drowning them first There are so many predators out their waiting for the opportunity.

Well looks like I lost another duck today, an adult Cayuga hen. One of the remaining Cayuga hens has a feather on her back pointing upwards abnormally. Is this a sign of an attack from the air?
IMG_20240518_165743748.jpg

I’d go on the predator and pest forum they can tell you more of what predator you’re dealing with. An adult Cayuga could have been picked off by a large Redtail or an Eagle.A large snapper could easily pull an adult under and drown. Drakes can mess up feathers too while mating. Do you have mink another awful predator. If you don't cameras it might be good to invest in a few and set them up.
Very sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom