The New Zealand Thread

Oh and I do use 'natural' products in my prevention, mostly neem oil and some essential oils, which I use in the coop, as well as the mite eating mites for red mites, I release a tube of them each spring into coop bedding. But when I actually have a problem, then I bring out the big guns right away. In my experience DE doesn't seem to work, but others say it does.
Yes, the DE is ok. It is making a difference but there still seems to be some and then the eggs hatch and I’m back to square one again!! I’m at my wits end to be honest. She is my fav chicken (I didn’t say that, I love them all equally 🤪)

I use for any mites what was recommended by a show breeder here and yes I understand that they want results and aren't interested in natural products. But I had a real problem with mites of both types...( red and other) I used a cattle drench that you put on the skin and it works amazingly... you apply it according to the chickens weight and mostly I am putting on about 0.1 or 0.2 ml per bird.

This year I haven't had red mite at all and in my books this is far far better than anything else.
DE does not work.

This is just my opinion and I'm not asking for an argument in any way :)
Totally agree with you. I give them 0.2ml of ivomectin… it’s not touching the mites though!! 😡😡😡

I
Yes, the DE is ok. It is making a difference but there still seems to be some and then the eggs hatch and I’m back to square one again!! I’m at my wits end to be honest. She is my fav chicken (I didn’t say that, I love them all equally 🤪)

I have used this in the past

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/yates-20...2taF5KfnpYX3fNNFL-AaAveuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can probably get mite stuff for cage birds that would work too, I just tend to find that expensive and hard to get so, garden centre it is.

What sort of dilution do you use and how do you apply it? We haven't had a mite problem (yet) but I would like to have ideas banked up for when they hit.
I got some of this after work today…the label says 5ml/L (that’s for garden use) @TheFatBlueCat is that the dilution you used??
She seems a bit better tonight. I gave her some anti inflammatory to make her a bit more comfortable. She wasn’t eating so I (carefully) gave her some poly aid by syringe this morning and tonight she was eating her egg, ham, tomato & cheese scramble I made her (she wouldn’t eat out of the bowl, only my hand!) 🥰🥰

Attachments

• 3AFC22D1-50B0-4350-B17D-9B96801FD70F.jpeg
    3AFC22D1-50B0-4350-B17D-9B96801FD70F.jpeg
    885.5 KB · Views: 0
  • D24C91A0-F292-4171-8A87-8300F0AEFFF9.jpeg
    D24C91A0-F292-4171-8A87-8300F0AEFFF9.jpeg
    639.6 KB · Views: 1
I predominantly used it in the coop at the garden dilution, it was awhile ago I used it direct on the chickens, from memory I diluted it a little more (unscientificly, I just added slightly more water to the spray bottle). I think it would be fine at garden dilution direct on chickens though, pyrethrum is supposedly not toxic to birds or mammals (at least not in those kinds of doses). I just sprayed them all over with the spray bottle and made sure I got under them and on legs.

I predominantly used it in the coop at the garden dilution, it was awhile ago I used it direct on the chickens, from memory I diluted it a little more (unscientificly, I just added slightly more water to the spray bottle). I think it would be fine at garden dilution direct on chickens though, pyrethrum is supposedly not toxic to birds or mammals (at least not in those kinds of doses). I just sprayed them all over with the spray bottle and made sure I got under them and on legs.
Awesome, thanks so much!
Heading home to do it now… 🤞🏻this works!!!

Back
Top Bottom