Tips for butchering and processing

RUNuts

Smiling. I'm up to something.
7 Years
May 19, 2017
Swamps of Texas
@wtxgrl - I've seen this before, but couldn't find the thread.

So really my questions are just not knowing. What to do, when to do, etc. I did go check out the meat bird forum and found the thread with the step by step pictures. That's what i was wanting with someone nearby. Just a good walk through. And maybe the tips that come along with experience (like good cut resistant gloves).
Top tips:
Start small. 2-5 birds the first time. Don't rush and go slow and methodically. Relax. The birds had a good life with only 1 bad day. If you get flustered, stop. This is a learning process and we want it pleasant for everyone involved. Including the chicken, as much as possible.

Take notes. Decide how you are going to do it. Set everything up. Do a couple dry runs and sleep on it. You will find areas to improve or change.

Sharp knives. Plan to have several or plan to sharpen at some point. Depending on your knife and you will determine how long it stays sharp. Knives don't cut bone, but bone dulls knives.

Work bench. If you can stay hunched over without a back ache, good on you. Get a comfortable work height. Makes the day better, more pleasant and you easier to get along with.

Scalding is an art. Find a temperature, 140-155°F for me at sea level, that will loosen the feathers in a couple of minutes. Test by pulling a wing feather. It should release easily. If scalding too long, the skin tears.

Try hanging the birds to pluck at shoulder height. Then laying on a bench. What works best for you?

What are you doing with the offal? Remember clean up and disposal. The job ain't over until the paperwork is finished. -Quote from Dad on potty training.

After dispatch, walk away for a couple of minutes. Don't focus. Death isn't nice.

There will be mistakes. Learn from them. Improve. Best wishes!

Last edited:
Great advice! It should be a sticky.
Please contribute. I know I have missed a few. These came from several threads that a lot of us contributed.

Do you remember what other thread several of us were discussing this on? I couldn't find them and it was easier to type it up. I'd like to reference them.

@Ridgerunner I know you have some more things to mention.

@wtxgrl - I've seen this before, but couldn't find the thread.

Top tips:
Start small. 2-5 birds the first time. Don't rush and go slow and methodically. Relax. The birds had a good life with only 1 bad day. If you get flustered, stop. This is a learning process and we want it pleasant for everyone involved. Including the chicken, as much as possible.

Take notes. Decide how you are going to do it. Set everything up. Do a couple dry runs and sleep on it. You will find areas to improve or change.

Sharp knives. Plan to have several or plan to sharpen at some point. Depending on your knife and you will determine how long it stays sharp. Knives don't cut bone, but bone dulls knives.

Work bench. If you can stay hunched over without a back ache, good on you. Get a comfortable work height. Makes the day better, more pleasant and you easier to get along with.

Scalding is an art. Find a temperature, 140-155°F for me at sea level, that will loosen the feathers in a couple of minutes. Test by pulling a wing feather. It should release easily. If scalding too long, the skin tears.

Try hanging the birds to pluck at shoulder height. Then laying on a bench. What works best for you?

What are you doing with the offal? Remember clean up and disposal. The job ain't over until the paperwork is finished. -Quote from Dad on potty training.

After dispatch, walk away for a couple of minutes. Don't focus. Death isn't nice.

There will be mistakes. Learn from them. Improve. Best wishes!
Thank you. The worst for me at this point is just the first bit. Weve got some eggs in the incubator and we got rid of the unfertilized ones on day 10. I was so concerned we candled wrong and thered be little chicks inside and id be killing them by throwing them away. 😭 i think i just need to keep reading and learning. So i very much appreciate ALL the solid advice

Thank you. The worst for me at this point is just the first bit. Weve got some eggs in the incubator and we got rid of the unfertilized ones on day 10. I was so concerned we candled wrong and thered be little chicks inside and id be killing them by throwing them away. 😭 i think i just need to keep reading and learning. So i very much appreciate ALL the solid advice
The mental preparation is the most important. If you are not mentally prepared, butchering is exhausting. Don't lose your compassion, but focus on the purpose. You are making meat for your family. Healthy, lovingly raised, well cared for. This is expensive meat that you can't buy.

Hatching will give you an appreciation of nature. Only the strong survive. Think about the chick. After fertilization, incubation has to be at the right temperature, humidity and the egg must be rolled to make a perfect little chick. Then after 21 days, the chicken has to be in position and able to break the shell to stretch it's little legs. Nature is amazing. A whole lotta things have to go right.
F431EF41-A8E0-4E7B-BD40-8AE8BDDC23F2.jpeg

@Ridgerunner I know you have some more things to mention.

You got the essentials but yeah, people can always add something. Some of it is personal preference.

I use poultry shears for certain cuts to avoid dulling the knife. When to use them instead of the knife will come with experience. Another reason to start with very few the first time.

I butcher outside. A good source of water is crucial to me. I'm always rinsing off my hands, the equipment, table, and the meat.

I try to do what set-up I can the day before. That may be setting up the work bench, sharpening knives, running the hose, or digging the hole you are going to use to bury the offal, if you bury the offal.

Many people do find the first part the hardest. Once it's dead it's dead, many people are able to just consider it meat after that. Once you gain confidence in your ability to do it it may get easier but I never enjoy it. It's something I have to do if we are going to eat these chickens.

You got the essentials but yeah, people can always add something. Some of it is personal preference.
Thank you for contributing.

Personal preference is important. There is no one right way to do it. Like cooking, the chef will make a meal, but it will taste so different from the way Mom makes it. Not wrong, just different. Find what works for you. Very good point.

I try not to touch the water hose until the evisceration is complete. Unless a bile sac bursts, then everything is rinsed immediately. After all the birds are cleaned, then I'll rinse all of them off.

Back
Top Bottom