Too much grit?

LindaF

Hatching
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Hi! I'm Linda and I have my first every chicks! So excited about them and about chatting with all of you. Here is my first question. My 11 chicks were hatched on April 22nd making them about 2 1/2 weeks old today. I have been feeding them starter feed free choice in a chick feeder and grit free choice in a cereal bowl in a small brooder-- actually a horse trough in my kitchen. So far they haven't eaten much grit, just a curious nibble now and then. This is what I expected. However, today they ate nearly one full cereal bowl. So I replaced it and now they just devoured a second full bowl! They are in a feeding frenzy over it, even though they have ample clean starter feed right beside it, which they have also been eating just fine. I have been taking my Easter Eggers, Golden Campine, and Wellsumer out to forage for a short time each day this week. Like 15-30 minutes a day. But today I only took 2 of the 7 birds out to forage because it was a cooler day (about78) and thought it might be too cool for the less rambunctious birds. But still all 7 of them are fighting over the grit. The only ones not particularly interested are the 4 Silkies which I haven't taken out to forage. This just seems like too much grit for the 7 of them to be eating, but I do want to give it free choice. Can you tell me if it is possible for them to get too much of it?

Howdy from Kansas, LindaF, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Good to have you in our community! Careful with the grit - it should be sprinkled onto their food as we would salt our food so they don't too much of it. Chicks, not knowing any better, can actually fill up with grit and not eat their food. Good luck to you!

Hi! I'm Linda and I have my first every chicks! So excited about them and about chatting with all of you. Here is my first question. My 11 chicks were hatched on April 22nd making them about 2 1/2 weeks old today. I have been feeding them starter feed free choice in a chick feeder and grit free choice in a cereal bowl in a small brooder-- actually a horse trough in my kitchen. So far they haven't eaten much grit, just a curious nibble now and then. This is what I expected. However, today they ate nearly one full cereal bowl. So I replaced it and now they just devoured a second full bowl! They are in a feeding frenzy over it, even though they have ample clean starter feed right beside it, which they have also been eating just fine. I have been taking my Easter Eggers, Golden Campine, and Wellsumer out to forage for a short time each day this week. Like 15-30 minutes a day. But today I only took 2 of the 7 birds out to forage because it was a cooler day (about78) and thought it might be too cool for the less rambunctious birds. But still all 7 of them are fighting over the grit. The only ones not particularly interested are the 4 Silkies which I haven't taken out to forage. This just seems like too much grit for the 7 of them to be eating, but I do want to give it free choice. Can you tell me if it is possible for them to get too much of it?
Hi, Linda! Welcome to BYC! :frow

Del :)

Back
Top Bottom