Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock

Depending on the breed of chicken I move them in from three to four months. The best way to introduce them is you feed the older chickens when it’s getting dark and you pop the younger ones in with them I feed them all the same layer feed .

Well my chicks have been running about with my silkies outside since they were 2 weeks old, and inside the barn since 3 weeks; at 4 weeks old they are now out and about with the silkies and the big chooks, I find that getting them out and about so the other chooks can see them and get used to them (get over that curiosity), is the key to ensuring they are safe.

It also helps that there are places for the chicks to run and hide and fly up onto things.

Make sure there are multiple feed and water stations scattered around, and place some obstacles between feed and water stations to give some privacy and protection.

One needs to think like a chicken and what they would do if they were in the wild.

What do I do about very aggressive hens? I have had my chicks outside in a look-no touch situation for about 2 weeks now. And my hens are still as aggressive towards them as they were on day 1. They even jump at me when I’m holding the youngsters. Thanks

@Gavinthechickenman
3 months old is too young to give layer feed with 4% calcium. Better wait until 4 months. You can start at 3-4 months to mix layer with chick feed. Or just wait till the first pullets starts to lay and give oyster shell/crushed egg shell in a separate bowl.

What do I do about very aggressive hens? I have had my chicks outside in a look-no touch situation for about 2 weeks now. And my hens are still as aggressive towards them as they were on day 1. They even jump at me when I’m holding the youngsters. Thanks

Especially when there is not much space it’s difficult to integrate. Integrating is stressfull. Integrating with little space is not a good idea. And maybe you need to build (attach) more coop or/and run space.

What breeds do you have?
How is your setup? How much space and how many chickens? Do you have photos to share?

Especially when there is not much space it’s difficult to integrate. Integrating is stressfull. Integrating with little space is not a good idea. And maybe you need to build (attach) more coop or/and run space.

What breeds do you have?
How is your setup? How much space and how many chickens? Do you have photos to share?
Yes, I have 4 pearl white leghorns and 4 red stars. And I am integrating an Easter egger pair in with them. Someone recommended that I clutter the run, (so don’t mind all that 😆)

This is the setup:
image.jpg
image.jpg
It’s an 8 by 16 run 😊

Last edited:
Oh wait sorry, we actually have 3 leghorns now, one got taken by a bobcat yesterday, 😞😢
Sorry for your loss.😫
We integrated 25 of mixed breeds a few months ago and still have some older hens bullying the tweens.
We’ve also had some older hens abandon the coop after we put the tweens in with them. They refuse to be put back in, and have run out in the dark to go to a different coop or roost in the barn. Aggravating B**ches.

How old should chicks be when they are integrated into an adult flock?

With brooder raised chicks, I'll wait with the integration until they are around 2 months old before starting the integration process. It differs from flock to flock and individual flock members though. If I have sweet hens in the flock, I may let the chicks mingle with them sooner, knowing they'll be more readily accepted, but if I have more aggressive hens in the flock, I'd stretch out the process. Chicks raised with broody hens will be allowed to mingle with the flock as soon as they are a week old. Their mom will look out for them and the flock will readily accept them as they are coming with a known flock member (mom).

Are they too small to be integrated? Do they need to be a similar size to the older chickens?

It's recommended that brooder raised chicks be near the same size as the adult birds before integrating them, but it can be done sooner. Ideally chicks should be big and strong enough to be able to handle a bit of bullying and pecking as the established flock members will put them in their place in the pecking order. I'd wait until they are at least 2 months old.

What is the best way to introduce chicks to the rest of the flock?

Keeping the chicks housed separately, but within sight of the established flock for a period before letting them mingle, gives everyone time to get used to each other without being able to get to each other. If possible, a separate section or run next to the established flocks' outside space is ideal. I'd leave the young ones in there for at least a week, depending on how old they are and the above mentioned factors.

What / how do you feed a flock of mixed ages after integration?

Offer the entire flock chick grower, or starter and the laying hens crushed oystershell or egg shells free choice in a separate feeder. Chicks should not be fed layer feed until they are either laying or getting very close to POL, as the excess calcium can cause damage to their internal organs over

One of the most commonly discussed topics about raising chicks is the best way to transition chicks into an adult flock. So, we’re compiling frequently asked questions and answers into one thread for reference and discussion. Everyone, please tell us your thoughts and practices when it comes to this week’s topic, integrating chicks into an adult flock!

• How old should chicks be when they are integrated into an adult flock?
  • Are they too small to be integrated? Do they need to be a similar size to the older chickens?
  • What is the best way to introduce chicks to the rest of the flock?
  • What / how do you feed a flock of mixed ages after integration?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Awesome info!! I’m learning as I go as my first foray into backyard chickens ended with my neighbors calling the city and me having to give all my chickens to a neighbor that had a family ranch. Now I’m in a more rural area where that won’t happen, so I’ve started again. Anyway! I got four pullets from Tractor Supply last summer, and had to wait til they were as big as the smallest member of my current flock (not too bad as she is a bantam silky). This year, my broody hen (bantam silky) hatched four eggs and all four chicks hatched w/o issues. I’ve been keeping them separate until the last week, but now I know moving forward that, so long as they were hatched by a broody hen, and not in an incubator, they can be introduced much, much earlier. Yay for knowledge!!! God bless this community. I’ve learned so much so quick and I’m all for it, haha!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom