Turkey with sour/impacted crop?

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Hi, my approx 4 1/2 month old female broad breasted white turkey has what appears to be a sour crop. Her chest area is hanging out and swollen, but she still appears to be eating okay. This morning I made her throwup (okay that part was super disgusting) because I read it was supposed to help. So it didn't completely empty and she still had a swollen chest area, but she ate a ton, and it went from being soft and squishy to hard. By evening though it was back to its original state. What should I do? I plan on emptying her again tomorrow or the day after, and taking her to the vet is definetely not an option. I'll post pictures tommorow probably.
Thanks!

20180725_122848.jpg
20180725_122905.jpg

So here are the pictures. I don't think it is a breast blister, her skin seems healthy in that area. You can see how her chest area kind of hangs out.

It's been a 100+ here for a couple weeks, and I recently discovered that their water had some mold or mildew (some funky red growth anyway) in between the bucket part and tray. Could this have contributed? The other birds don't appear to have any issues though.

I've seen this before, the broad breasted turkeys seem especially prone to it. I do not think it was the water though.

And I still think It's a breast blister. It is inflammation under the skin on the keel.

It's squishy, almost like it's filled with fluid. If this is a breast blister how should I treat it? If it's pendulous crop does that mean it's untreatable? In other words should I slaughter her?

Back
Top Bottom