Using a pellet gun to harvest free rangers

Pics

Florida Bullfrog

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2019
North Florida
I don't think this video is particularly graphic, except that it will show some head-shots and some flopping. So viewer discretion is advised but probably not necessary for someone that otherwise does their own chicken harvesting. It doesn't show any blood.

The only aspect that's not really efficient is waiting for a good shot. To make a clean brain shot you got to wait for them to go alert. For those of them what will roost in the coop and not the trees, its of course easiest to simply pick them up off the roost, hang them up, and pellet them to the head (no kill cone needed). But here in Florida that means braving the night-time mosquitoes to clean the birds. So I like this kind of day-time shooting the best.

I'm using a .22 PCP air rifle. I've used some of my more powerful air rifles that are strong enough to deer and hog hunt with, but quite honestly it seems like a .177 or .22 pellet does just as good to the brain as a .30 caliber, 45 grain, air gun bullet.

Last edited:
I don't think this video is particularly graphic, except that it will show some head-shots and some flopping. So viewer discretion is advised but probably not necessary for someone that otherwise does their own chicken harvesting. It doesn't show any blood.

The only aspect that's not really efficient is waiting for a good shot. To make a clean brain shot you got to wait for them to go alert. For those of them what will roost in the coop and not the trees, its of course easiest to simply pick them up off the roost, hang them up, and pellet them to the head (no kill cone needed). But here in Florida that means braving the night-time mosquitoes to clean the birds. So I like this kind of day-time shooting the best.

I'm using a .22 PCP air rifle. I've used some of my more powerful air rifles that are strong enough to deer and hog hunt with, but quite honestly it seems like a .177 or .22 pellet does just as good to the brain as a .30 caliber, 45 grain, air gun bullet.
🤔 I'd be scared my aim could be off with a single pellet;I'm not the perfect marksmen. I think a .410 shotgun would be the more humane choice if it was left up to me doing the shooting.😅

What a joke, that guy and his HUGE gun to kill a little chicken. I wonder why he feels the need to have such a big gun? Maybe size is an issue for him

Blowing out their brains so that the consciousness of the chicken immediately ceases to be is a more humane way to do it than hanging them upside down and cutting their throats or chopping their heads clean off and letting their brain continue to fire for a length of time, don’t you agree?

If you simply don’t kill your chickens because you don’t like eating meat, I can’t help you there. Odd for you to be hanging out in the meat chicken forum.

Seems a bit excessive and the margin of error which may result in suffering for animal at the end of its life is too high for my comfort. Could it work? Obviously yes. But I can think of about 20 other ways/tools to dispatch a chicken I would go to first.

I haven’t wounded one yet doing it this way. All shots are instant brain shots that destroys the brain on impact. If you miss, you miss clean and at most hit combs or wattles. Seems to me like a cleaner kill than traditional methods of head chopping, neck slicing, or neck wringing. Remember chickens are reptile-like their brains don’t just die instantly if severed from the body or cut off from blood. They stay alive for a little bit. I’d rather their minds instantly cease to be, which is what happens on brain shots.

I am a very experienced hunter though and specifically I’m experienced taking brain shots. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone that isn’t a good marksman.

What a joke, that guy and his HUGE gun to kill a little chicken. I wonder why he feels the need to have such a big gun? Maybe size is an issue for him
The gun is big but the actual bullet/pellet is small so I think the big scope is for accurate shots limiting the margin of error. It's actually more humane than throat slicing or head chopping.

My father uses a gun when he butchers extra males. The only thing I'm not a fan of in this video is that he's aiming in the middle of a flock. If he had accidentally missed or a hen had looked up at the wrong time, he could take out a bird or injure one that he never meant to

Back
Top Bottom