UV light for indoor ducks

Diamond88

Songster
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Chicago
My vet told me a while ago that I need to have a UV light for my indoor call duck for vitamin D and hormone regulation. I bought a bulb from the reptile section of the pet store and hooked it up to an 8-hour timer, and I just left it at that. But, today I read that too much exposure to UV rays can cause cancer, which I suppose does make sense. Now I'm very concerned. Does anyone have information on the right amount of UV exposure for an indoor duck, and a female call duck in particular? I know she needs the simulated sun, but I'm so worried!

Mercy, this is a sticky one.

I just don't know, but wanted to let you know I am thinking about it. A number of the people I am aware of with indoor ducks take them for walks. In the winter, I supplement our food with some dry cat kibble that has added Vitamin D in it.

Would one of those full spectrum grow lights be good?

Hmm, a grow light is an idea. This might be something I'll have to take up with a vet. But since she's not sick and hopefully won't need to go to the vet anytime soon, I don't really know if/when I'll have a chance. Thanks for weighing in, though, Amiga!

I wrote to Dr. Greg Burkett in North Carolina, because he was the one who told me about the UV light in the first place. (My well-traveled duck was hatched in Raleigh.) He said the light should be 18-24 inches away from the cage and that I should have it on for two or three hours in the morning and two or three hours in the afternoon. That's for a female call duck, specifically, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too much different for bigger ducks. So, now we know!

I wrote to Dr. Greg Burkett in North Carolina, because he was the one who told me about the UV light in the first place. (My well-traveled duck was hatched in Raleigh.) He said the light should be 18-24 inches away from the cage and that I should have it on for two or three hours in the morning and two or three hours in the afternoon. That's for a female call duck, specifically, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too much different for bigger ducks. So, now we know!
Bravo! Good information, thanks very much!

Back
Top Bottom