Welded Wire Tightening

XanderWiFi

Songster
Aug 6, 2017
Central Virginia
I am making plans to build a run extension from my existing run/coop. I intend for it to be about 15x15, 7' t-posts and welded wire for the perimeter and capped with aviary netting.

My first time putting up a t post garden fence I had no luck getting many of the sections tightened and "neat" looking. While not horribly noticeable in many spots, if you touch it you will find lots of "wobble" in the fencing. I want to avoid this.

What are simpler home methods of stretching the welded wire across the t-posts? I do not have a tractor or advanced tools/equipment that are always demonstrated when I search youtube/etc. I have a riding mower and the basic mechanic tools to do the job. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I am making plans to build a run extension from my existing run/coop. I intend for it to be about 15x15, 7' t-posts and welded wire for the perimeter and capped with aviary netting.

My first time putting up a t post garden fence I had no luck getting many of the sections tightened and "neat" looking. While not horribly noticeable in many spots, if you touch it you will find lots of "wobble" in the fencing. I want to avoid this.

What are simpler home methods of stretching the welded wire across the t-posts? I do not have a tractor or advanced tools/equipment that are always demonstrated when I search youtube/etc. I have a riding mower and the basic mechanic tools to do the job. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Probably not the best way but I used a 2"x4". It fits right through the 2"x4" openings. I would stick the board through the opening with the end of the board on the outside of the post. I would push on the long end of the board with my shoulder leaving my hands free to secure the fencing in place. I used wooden posts making a more sturdy place to lever the fence into position. T posts will have a lot of give so can't say if this will work really well for you. If you push too hard on the 2"x4" lever, the welded wire will pop loose from its welds.

I did about same as R2elk with Tposts, actually the posts moving a bit added to the tension to keep fencing taut. Pretty easy to do if land is flat, much harder if working on a slope. I have some floppy sections, not big deal to me, kinda ugly but still effective.

Make sure your posts are driven in plumb, that will help. I used a fence post level made for 4x4 but works for Tposts too.

Are you using clips to attach fence to posts?
Will the aviary netting be a 'roof' for the run?

excuse the crudness of the picture, but I'm not an artist, and it's hard to explain.

imigain this is your fence, put your little z' s in like this, all the way down.
20170906_172036.jpg

I have found that putting crimps in the fence makes it very susceptible to breaking.

agreed. I don't think I would do for a goat pasture.
That's a great illustration @yogifink !
I knew what you meant as I've seen a video of a guy doing it.

That means a lot, coming from an engineer :lau

I think i saw that video a while back. It's a crude way to fix, but works like a charm imo.

Have you done it and had it fail?
The vid shows a gentler crimp than yogi's illustration.
Yes, it broke at every one of my bends. Where the crimps were not used, the fence is still holding good. If you live in a windy area (I do), the wind keeps the fence moving back and forth and it breaks right where the crimps are. If you don't have a wind problem, it may hold well. It is not a new idea, it has long been used as a quick tightening method on barbed wire fences.

Back
Top Bottom