What are the Best vegetables for your chickens?

LCT19

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2022
What are the best and most beneficial vegetables for my chickens. I want to grow a chicken garden. Thanks

In this same thread. I am curious if you can feed your chickens the slaw mix and the wilted salads I didn't eat? They are almost 16wks old and I don't know what age they can be before they can eat these kind of things?
How about the weeds and johnson grass and anything growing in our yard that doesn't belong?

In this same thread. I am curious if you can feed your chickens the slaw mix and the wilted salads I didn't eat? They are almost 16wks old and I don't know what age they can be before they can eat these kind of things?
How about the weeds and johnson grass and anything growing in our yard that doesn't belong?
My chickens don’t like old / wilted salad. They like fresh. Fresh grasses, herbs and some veggies.
Week old chicks who go out with there momma eat from the grasses and herbs too, beside the chick crumble.
If the chicks stay in an empty run , you better wait until they are a few weeks old. But then you can cut grasses (short pieces) and herbs for them if you scatter some pigeon grit (small stones) too.

I will make a simple container (of 4 beams with hwc) in which I sow herbs and grass. Because the chickens can’t scratch in it’s growing all summer.

Greens (spinach, kale, collard, chard, arugula, cabbage, etc)
Cucumbers
Winter squash/pumpkins
I also plant radish & beets & give them the tops that get overrun with bugs that ate through the greens!
Our garden is for humans, but anything we don’t consume in time goes to the chickens, along with kale stalks, cabbage cores, squash/pumpkin rinds, and cucumber ends. They also love pepper cores with the seeds inside!

Back
Top Bottom