What breed is this, and where can I get a pair?

PeppermintHen

Songster
12 Years
Sep 5, 2007
San Antonio, TX
This image is not from an american website. But what breed are they? Where can I get a pair? Everyone's thoughts and answers appreciated. Thanks -- Yvette
resized.jpg

Looks like those Gold Laced Orps?pawtrait art post earlier ... only yours have feathered legs... Gold Laced Brahmas...? Check out that Gold Laced Orp post! Gosh these are some beautiful birds!

Yvette, send the URL for the Web site where you found the photo. I can translate for you if the breed is mentioned on there in French.

Mark

Found it:

http://perso.orange.fr/la.ferme.du.mont.teil/Brahma.htm

They are Brahmas that have been developed in France. The varieties that this breeder is working with are:

Ermined: ermine or mink-colored edged hackles and ermine saddle feathers.

Wild ermined: Same as above with a little bit of green reflection in the tail feathers. I'm pretty sure that's what the rooster in your photo is.

Black and white ermined

Blue and wild blue ermined

Pencilled partridge: I think that's what the hen in your photo is.

Dark blue pencilled partridge

Gorgeous birds aren't they?

Mark

Hi Mark, I think I typed in the internet image search " big chicken" or Delaware chicken" and found this picture. I'm trying to search for it again so I can give the the URL. When I saw the rooster I was WOW that's a big rooster. He is like, almost taller than the grass behind him. I have never seen one like him before. I can just see him trampling through our grass.
When I find the website I will post it right away. Thanks Mark -- Yvette

Found it---crossed messages :)

Yeah they look HUGE. It says they are among the largest breeds in France. I wonder how feasible it would be to get eggs shipped from them? Doubt they would part with them or would charge a huge dollar. I'd love to see a photo of the dark pencilled blues.

Yes, that is some type of Partridge Brahma, but it would cost a massive amt to send eggs from overseas, and they wouldn't make it intact anyway. Heck, they can't even make it from the next state! And there are probably major regulations/hoops as well to jump through. Hatchery Brahmas have lost alot of their size.

It says the roos max at 11lbs and the hens at 10. Big birds! Says the eggs are smallish compared to the size of the bird: 55g or a little under 2 oz.

Wow that was fast. I remember now I typed wyandotte in the image search and saw the hen laying on her eggs. Clicked and it led me the rooster image. Thanks a whole bunch for the translation Mark. -- Yvette

Back
Top Bottom