What breed is this little chick? UPDATE!

I need to see pictures of EE's from Meyer's.
smile.png
Maybe I'll start a new thread in the breeds section.

If it's an EE, I wonder what colors it will be when it feathers out...I love EE's, so I'm certainly not disappointed to have another.

I think it is an EE, because its legs are green. that is one of the few things I know about chickens- EEs have green legs.

this one is not screaming EE at me
hmm.png
....the coloring is similar to my appenzeller spitzhauben when they were chicks, but these don't have crests, but the color of the ss hamburg is similar to them. I am saying silver spangled hamburg. The legs are blue as adults but not so blue when they are chicks. I am going with silver spangled hamburgs, gotta remember they are from a hatchery so sometimes they don't look *perfect* . Does it have a rose comb? eta- I would put money on it that this isn't an EE....
hmm.png

Check it out...
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Hamb/BRKHamChiks.html

Last edited:
It's the shape of its head that isn't looking like a hamburg to me, as much as anything. It's got too much of a break between its fluff and its beak. Does that make sense? My hamburgs have all gone smooth from their head, between their eyes, and to their beaks. Kinda like a gentle ski slope, not a cliff....

P7140033.jpg

P7140046.jpg

I think they look a lot like that chick in the last picture. The funny shape of the head you noticed could be because we had just been holding it and ruffling up the down.

Today they have a lot of white wing feathers coming in with black tips. I'll take some more pictures this afternoon.

I checked their combs, and so far they don't have one at all!

Last edited:
Looks just like the EEs I got from Meyer this past Monday--however, it doesn't have the prominent puffy cheeks that the EEs I got have.

I'm a bit weirded out by the color of the EEs I got from Meyer this year. I ordered from MMM last year and the EEs looked like little chipmunks. I'm looking forward to finding out what they end up looking like. Hope they're not too ugly!

Last edited:
It's not an EE... I have gotten many of those from Meyer and they have always been chipmunk color with green legs....these legs are a brown.

If it is not hamburg it may be lakenvelder, but those are the only two options out of the batch.

I am still betting hamburg, but if I am wrong I will give you two more from my next batch
lol.png

Quote:
big_smile.png
We'll be happy if it's an EE or a Hamburg! I'm having trouble believing it could be an EE when neither chick has muffs or a beard though. I would be pretty excited if it was a Lakenvelder too!

it's not a lakenvelder if the comb is non-existant, they have single combs. It is probably a rose comb which would indicate hamburg.......
Just post pics in a couple of weeks, but I still stand by they are NOT EE's
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom