What did you do in the garden today?

DH picked the last of the green peas over the weekend and pulled the plants for me. Don't know what's got into him. So interested in the garden and the chickens. He even refered to a couple hens by name!
I like it. I will make a gardener of him finally???

Soon I will plant some pickling cucumbers in place of the peas.

Yesterday I pruned tomatoes and pulled some weeds. Today I will try to get the last of the annual flowers planted and probably pull more weeds.

Chickens always eagerly watch the weed pulling! 😂
Mine actually has come to like my special needs pigeon, Ziggy, & calls her by name & pets her, when I bring her in for feeding. This morning he actually helped by doing all of the chicken waterers! He also asked me about the seedlings growing in my spare bathroom/bath tub with the sky light over the tub, as they're growing quite well now. He also got a kick out of watching the Guineas play, chasing eachother round & round the 12x24 loft before bed time last night...they were very entertaining. I had the same thoughts...am I slowly turning him into a flock keeper gardener??? ❤️ 😍

DH picked the last of the green peas over the weekend and pulled the plants for me. Don't know what's got into him. So interested in the garden and the chickens. He even refered to a couple hens by name!
I like it. I will make a gardener of him finally???

Soon I will plant some pickling cucumbers in place of the peas.

Yesterday I pruned tomatoes and pulled some weeds. Today I will try to get the last of the annual flowers planted and probably pull more weeds.

Chickens always eagerly watch the weed pulling! 😂
My flock makes excited little chuckle noises when I am working in the raised bed gardens...bugs or greens are a coming!

Everything in garden is growing and loving the chicken poo! Flowers on watermelon! ❤️ eggplant, squash and cucumbers

Attachments

• IMG_7671.jpeg
    IMG_7671.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    691.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7667.jpeg
    IMG_7667.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7672.jpeg
    IMG_7672.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 1
Poppies are blooming.
View attachment 3839009

Yesterday worked all day planting and working in the garden, more of the same today.

We got all 80+ pepper plants planted. Need more small tomato cages, but the cages are strangely expensive right now.. so might go with posts and string.

Today, we will focus on the other large bed, which was partially planted yesterday.

Someone gave my husband corn seeds, so now he wants to plant them. Uhhh…I can’t eat corn- regular whole corn is not my friend but cornmeal stuff is fine, so I’m not interested in growing corn. Plus, I hear that you need a stand of corn - not just a short row, or small area. And it’s tall. An Amish guy sells sweet corn for weeks and weeks a couple miles away, or there is the local farmers market where another Amish guy sells sweet corn too. I’m pretty sure I’d rather buy it than plant it. So, this was our disagreement yesterday.

A mean insect found my foot yesterday. After treating it, and taking ibuprofen for the swelling (which was getting worse a couple hours after the insect got me), I removed the bandaid a couple hours later, and it’s icky and oozy. Not sure what got me! This morning it’s sore/tender feeling, but I haven’t removed the band aids yet. Should be on the mend I hope.
I had sweet corn one year to fill a 4x8 raised bed. I was so excited when it would be ready in a couple days. Oh well, when I went to harvest them on the morning, I only found that raccoons had a party the night before and ate every single one of them and left a big mess behind. The raccoons were not interested in my garden until that day. I never planted any corn again.

Should be fine. Got any of thse air activated hand warmers from winter left? Can put some in a old shirt for them to snuggle. Or a ot water bottle or ziploc w wam water and old shirt. I mean, if your worried.
Wouldn't worry about coop. Check in morning and keep building. Sorry about tree loss.
OH! I should have thought of hand warmers! When I was talking with my husband, I said, "What would we do? Me snuggling them all night is NOT an option because they are gross." :gig I'm just happy that it seemed to stay in the woods!
I keep a full box of hand warmers for those fun times also
selling peeps.

Where did the rain come in?
Probably everywhere... here's a picture of the coop.
A6A81CE1-44E1-41FA-B17A-0AD5656CFB04.jpeg

The boards aren't perfectly aligned, so water probably got forced through the cracks with the wind we got. I am planning on putting up plywood on the inside, so that would help at least block it from coming in through the walls. Most probably came in through the top ventilation. I'm thinking that adding a board across the front of the rafters would help to block some of that water without blocking the ventilation.

I had sweet corn one year to fill a 4x8 raised bed. I was so excited when it would be ready in a couple days. Oh well, when I went to harvest them on the morning, I only found that raccoons had a party the night before and ate every single one of them and left a big mess behind. The raccoons were not interested in my garden until that day. I never planted any corn again.
This is what happened to me too. The next year I tried a radio. Worked for about a week and then the hungry hoard descended. I did get some at least.

This is the reason I quit raising sweet corn years ago. They don't seem to bother popcorn. Not meaty enough I guess.

Back
Top Bottom