What did you do in the garden today?

Today I worked on getting the last of the annual flowers in the ground. I had a few winter sown foxgloves and coreopsis so I planted those with some of the older ones that are blooming now. Still got some winter sown sweet williams, purple coneflowers and hollyhocks to get in the ground. Those will bloom next year but they reseed and come back! I still save seed and grow some every few years to make sure.

When I got through planting and watering everything in I was pooped!

Daylilies have started blooming.
20240520_130220.jpg

20240520_130058.jpg

Older foxgloves.
20240520_130443.jpg

Today I worked on getting the last of the annual flowers in the ground. I had a few winter sown foxgloves and coreopsis so I planted those with some of the older ones that are blooming now. Still got some winter sown sweet williams, purple coneflowers and hollyhocks to get in the ground. Those will bloom next year but they reseed and come back! I still save seed and grow some every few years to make sure.

When I got through planting and watering everything in I was pooped!

Daylilies have started blooming.
View attachment 3839725
View attachment 3839728

Older foxgloves.
View attachment 3839731
Your day lilies are ahead of mine, and your hydrangea is gorgeous!

I feel for ya. Most things are in miniscule print nowadays. Or is it my eyes getting older? I have to take a photo of stuff with my phone then enlarge it, to be able to read everything clearly. Crazy isn't it!
I have to use a magnifying glass. I'm not even kidding... If I don't have it handy, then I use my phone camera and zoom in. It's such crap that they use such tiny print that normal people can't read.

Your day lilies are ahead of mine, and your hydrangea is gorgeous!
Thank you!

Cannot grow it here in 9A it would just melt after a day or two.
I am in zone 8a. I have the foxgloves planted in moist shade. It's the only spot I can keep them growing. I know they'd be taller and more full if they got more sun but our heat and humidity would kill them. They only reseed for me a little. So I save a few seed and grow out a few every 3 or so years. They act as a short lived perennial for me.
I do think they are so pretty.

I ordered a bunch of new dahlia bulbs this spring since all my bulbs from last year rotted in the storage box to dust.

Well this morning I noticed that one bed had still not sprouted. I had 3 bulbs in that bed. I decided to dig them up to see what's going on with them. Guess what? They've ROTTED in the bed. Assuming because of how much rain and heat we had. I'm so disappointed. In the other raised beds I've noticed that there are easily 1-2 bulbs in each of those beds also haven't sprouted... Those probably rotted too.

About to give up entirely on dahlias.

Thank you!

I am in zone 8a. I have the foxgloves planted in moist shade. It's the only spot I can keep them growing. I know they'd be taller and more full if they got more sun but our heat and humidity would kill them. They only reseed for me a little. So I save a few seed and grow out a few every 3 or so years. They act as a short lived perennial for me.
I do think they are so pretty.

I was in zone 7b at the time. I was pleasantly surprised when they reseeded. I thought they would be a one season plant. They were in my front bed where it received some really strong afternoon sun. During a hot summer day you could burn yourself touching the front door.

That looks great!
Thank you! It's been a lot of hard work, that's for sure!
Never use hand warmer with chicks! They may release some harmful gas. I used this shipping warmer to keep day old chicks warm in a large box after picked them up 3.5 hours away: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01949J35K

It similar to hand warmer but should be ok to use around animals. NO! They all pilled on top of the warmer and seemed to enjoy it on the way home. After we arrived home, all chicks passed out and I couldn't wake anyone up when toughing them in the next ~5 hours! None of them ever moved and most didn't open their eyes before I went to bed crying! I thought they all died and left them under heating plate just in case. The next morning, everyone was happily running around in the brooder! I never had chicks doing this kind thing before, but I would never use chemical warmer around my chicks again.
Oh! Good to know! Sorry you had to go through that!
Could you double

Up the siding to overlap the existing board? Running overlapping boards vertically would be even better.
Definitely put a board across the edge of the roof.
Maybe... that would definitely seal up those gaps better. I'll be talking with my husband about that!
@TillyPeeps I've never used them in a small confined space. They do give off Carbon Monoxide. It sounded like they were in an open coop.

Heck, I've even warmed rocks up in boiling water (gas stove) to put in tshirts for them to snuggle with.
They are in a brooder in the garage that has window screens for the roof and door. I really should have thought of some of these ideas myself, I've watched enough survival shows!

Thank you everyone for the responses! I love how helpful everyone is on this website!

I watered and fertilized things today. Battling another mole that has taken up residence in the tunnel of the one I got last week. Never ends.

I have responses to previous pages of content saved in my multi quotes. Not enough time to do that this evening. I love all the pictures!!! Everyone's gardens are so beautiful!!

I still need to take photos of the house plants.... 😅

Back
Top Bottom