What is this chicken?

Ilovechickens2525

In the Brooder
May 15, 2024
Hello! I recently got chickens, from a farm that has mostly silveruuds and black copper marans. I think maybe have had some other types but I didn’t see them. What is this brown and white chicken?? Is it a splash or a sikveruud (isbar) crossed with something else? And is it a pullet or rooster?? Roughly 12 weeks old, maybe more, so the red comb could hopefully be that she’s getting ready to lay? The breeder said with silveruuds they only get the poof on top when a hen? You can see the splash beside her in one picture that also has the poof, who I think is definitely a hen. The smaller more white splash is about 12 weeks so this white and brown one could be even more.

Attachments

• E4B331B7-6EDF-4AA5-BE3E-396C446B7692.jpeg
    E4B331B7-6EDF-4AA5-BE3E-396C446B7692.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 566CE217-3F7F-4D25-BB37-283BE4965A7C.jpeg
    566CE217-3F7F-4D25-BB37-283BE4965A7C.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 7
  • ABC12681-4AD2-4843-8B1F-48929599E3BB.jpeg
    ABC12681-4AD2-4843-8B1F-48929599E3BB.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 7
  • BA3FAD2F-99B8-4352-BC80-07B4AA6A247C.jpeg
    BA3FAD2F-99B8-4352-BC80-07B4AA6A247C.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 7
Silveruuds should never have crests, neither males nor females, so I wouldn't trust anything this breeder says. In fact no breed of chicken has females with crests and males without them.

The red and white one is a mixed breed cockerel. The black and white one is probably a pullet, and is also a mixed breed. I do not think they are direct crosses of Silveruuds, but there's no telling for sure.

Definitely a little boy the male's get crests too, they just look/sit a bit different because of comb development
Silveruuds should never have crests, neither males nor females, so I wouldn't trust anything this breeder says. In fact no breed of chicken has females with crests and males without them.

The red and white one is a mixed breed cockerel. The black and white one is probably a pullet, and is also a mixed breed. I do not think they are direct crosses of Silveruuds, but there's no telling for sure.
Oh yes, I should have clarified that I wasn't confirming their breed when I said males get crests too, just that if you have males and females, both will be able to have crests depending on what their parents genetics are

The brown and white one is definitely a male and the other is a female the girl looks like a slash I don’t know what the male is
Hi, so the white one is the one I just posted pictures of that you asked for tail feathers pictures. It is hard to tell with that one isn’t it?

I have now figured out the white and brown one is likely crossed with a bergs brown and yes definitely rooster.

Do you think it still looks like maybe for that white one or is it quite likely a rooster based on those other pictures?

Hi, so the white one is the one I just posted pictures of that you asked for tail feathers pictures. It is hard to tell with that one isn’t it?

I have now figured out the white and brown one is likely crossed with a bergs brown and yes definitely rooster.

Do you think it still looks like maybe for that white one or is it quite likely a rooster based on those other pictures?
The brown (red) on the shoulders is very much a rooster trait. Also, pullets don't develop RED combs and wattles until within about a month of laying eggs. The comb and wattle size on the brown and white at that age says that one is 1000% a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom