What is your favorite electrolyte supplement?

True, just answering what @RoyalChick asked. We never give electrolytes routinely, but they're getting probiotics routinely through the every other day of fermented grains.

Out of 8 years of raising silkies, I've been fermenting for about 2 years. Any difference? Nope. But I'll keep doing it as I know it's healthy for them. It's a labor of love I guess. :old
Thanks. I was confused by the original question because it sounded like routine giving of electrolytes which I had never heard of doing.

Thanks. I was confused by the original question because it sounded like routine giving of electrolytes which I had never heard of doing.
That is what it sounds like to me too. I have heard of it before, just like I have heard of people routinely giving vitamin supplements, or probiotics, or adding herbs or vinegar to feed and water, or many other things.

None of those seem harmful if they are provided as an option, with normal feed and plain water always available to the chickens as well, but I haven't seen much evidence of actual benefit either, and it is not something I have personally chosen to try with normal healthy chickens of any age.

I do know that ducks can eat chicken feed if they receive regular supplements of niacin but will show symptoms of deficiency without the supplements, so I try to keep an open mind about whether specific chickens or specific feeds might also need routine supplements of some sort-- but I have not personally seen that happen.

Depending on the situation, I’ve used hydro-hen, sav-a-chick packets, durvet packets, rooster booster vitamins & electrolytes with lactobacillus, nutri-drench…
What benefits have you seen? It sounds like you have made a study of this and seen specific benefits.

I don't give anything for routine maintenance. When I have a chick or hen that needs something I use hummingbird liquid to give it a burst of energy. Sometimes that makes a noticeable difference.

I use this for electrolyte/vitamin supplement, I like it as it has less salts than most. And as @Debbie292d stated Nutri-drench for hatchlings and ill/off feed birds.View attachment 3831824
Should have read better, I don't use as an everyday or weekly routine. Only used for stress as needed, for whatever the stress may be extreme heat, extreme cold. molting, illness.

Back
Top Bottom