When do I stop feeding my chickens chick starter.....

Question on Purina Flockraiser.....Can everyone really have it long term? I started feeding it to my hens when molting because it's 20% protein and I read they need extra protein. (Oyster shell always available..) Then I got chicks and am still feeding everyone Flockraiser, (chicks almost 8 weeks now.)
Recently, in another forum, I read that Flockraiser is for growing youngsters and has too much protein for adult chickens, that prolonged feeding of it could damage kidneys. Any input? (Hens are free range so they have a varied diet besides the feed)

My chickens are 16 weeks, but I have a mixed flock with ducks that are 14 weeks and a rooster. I'm wondering about the switch to layer feed. I want my boys to get proper nutrition and support my ducks and pullets with proper calcium and nutrition. None are laying yet but a couple of my pullets are starting to redden up in face and comb leading me to believe they may be getting closer to POL. Any one have opinions on whether to go with layer feed or All Flock/mixed flock raiser?

You can actually buy 22% layer ration and some have found that their birds do better with a feed that has just a bit more than 16% protein. This is especially true if your chickens are eating other low-protein treats which bring the overall percentage of the diet down. The 16% ration was developed with confinement in mind and if you read the label, it's meant to be a sole ration. It's not because 18 or 20 or 22% is too much, it's that 16% is the magical threshold where laying isn't impeded by too-low protein.

ETA I've personally found that shells improved on 20% starter/grower with calcium provided free-choice compared to using a 16% layer ration. I realize this is not a scientific study but my experience is not unique.

Last edited:
birds do better with a feed that has more than 16% protein.
Thank you! I think I'll keep getting the Flockraiser then, the hens actually LOVE it, they did not love layer feed. They have oyster shell on the side, all their eggs have good hard shells.

I like the no-waste pellet form and wish there were more options BUT I was very surprised at how they didn't waste the 21% unmedicated mash from the local mill. They really went after that stuff. Freshness counts more than I'd ever guessed.

they didn't waste the 21% unmedicated mash from the local mill. They really went after that stuff. Freshness counts more than I'd ever guessed.
Yes! Same here--- they don't waste it. And my feed store divides the 50 lbs bags so I get 25 lbs at a time for my small flock of 3 hens, 6 chicks. I found the 50 pounders lasted too long, and even got buggy and moldy. Now I store it in a 5 gallon bucket in my kitchen to best preserve freshness.

Back
Top Bottom