When to move 3 week old chicks into a coop

When did you move your chickens into a coop?

• 2-3 weeks

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 3-5 weeks

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • 5-7 weeks

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • other

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Brokenandreal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Florida
My Rhode Island Reds are only about 3 weeks old and my dad is already thinking of putting them in the coop outside because they're starting to fly out of their brooder and go on little adventures in my room.
They of course leave traced of feces everywhere
barnie.gif
and then they just fly back into the brooder when they hear me arrive home from school.

So I was wondering if it would be ok to move them into the coop and if not, what age should I move them in?

Mine are 7 weeks now and I'm only just moving them out, but for the day only and inside at night. It's too cold for the poor little things! Make sure they're fully feathered before bringing them out into the cold unless they're being protected from a mother hen.

I live in Florida so the temperature at night is never below 70 but since it's winter it's gotten lowest 40 degrees but that's very rare here.

I put mine in the coop at ~four weeks of age. I supply a heat source in the coop for them to go into for warmth. I remove the heat source entirely by six weeks.

I'd say if it gets below 60 bring them in(until feathered) otherwise let them enjoy some sunshine!

I would wait until 4 weeks and then kick them out. Mine get moved out at 5 weeks and it has been getting down to the teens at night. They have a heat lamp and each other for warmth. It is 65 in our house and I took away the heat lamp at age 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom