When to move from paper towels to shavings in brooder?

kathleengp

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Our chicks are only 6 days old, but we are changing their paper towels at least 4 times a day - it just gets so dirty!! (8 chicks)

Are they too young to use pine shavings? Should I put shavings on top of paper towels? The brooder bottom is a fine wire (1/4 in or so openings) or should I just let them walk on the wire so the poops go through.....

Thanks!

Kathleen in upstate NY

I had mine on shavings from day one. A lot of people keep them on paper towels until they are eating from the feeders reliably. At 6 days old you shouldn't have any trouble putting them on shavings and it will certainly be easier to keep clean! Personally I prefer shavings over keeping them on wire since it seems to me they are more comfortable and have a soft, warm place to sleep. I just lined my brooder box with newspaper and put 2 or 3 inches of shavings on top. Made it easy to just roll up and toss when it was time to clean.They also love to scratch around in it. That said, you may want to raise up your feeder and waterer on a square of wood or something so it doesn't continually get filled with shavings.

Quote:
They are plenty old enough for shavings! Mine go on shavings at 2-3 days. They then go on wire at about 1-2 weeks old and stay on wire until they're 8 weeks. If they're bantams they may be a little small for the wire still, but standard size chicks should do fine if it's that small of wire.

Thanks everyone!! I have shavings here for our bunny, so off I go to neaten up that brooder!!

I threw some shavings on top of a recently changed paper towel layer yesterday and let me tell you....what a difference!!!!

Soooo glad I have this forum to go to for answers!

As soon as they recognize food as food, they are fine...
tongue.png

Yeah I moved mine to shavings yesterday. I was cringing at the paper towels and their little feet stepping in poo nonstop. Now they smell sooooo good and fresh! Plus they're so cute scratching around!

Back
Top Bottom