Where can I get eggs lead tested in Boston/Providence area?

Marmalade25

Songster
5 Years
Jan 19, 2018
I just found my chickens have been able to get at an area of chipping paint which I highly suspect is lead paint. I would like to get their eggs tested. Does anyone know of a university or anything that might test them in the Boston/Providence area? Also, if I am able to determine a lead problem in the eggs, does anyone know of an effective way of treating the chickens lead levels? None of them are currently showing signs of illness.

I just found my chickens have been able to get at an area of chipping paint which I highly suspect is lead paint. I would like to get their eggs tested. Does anyone know of a university or anything that might test them in the Boston/Providence area? Also, if I am able to determine a lead problem in the eggs, does anyone know of an effective way of treating the chickens lead levels? None of them are currently showing signs of illness.

Hi @Marmalade25 :frow Welcome To BYC

You can contact your local health department about testing or see if your state vet diagnostic lab will perform testing for you. A lot depends on the lab, they may test the eggs or require a blood sample which you vet can obtain for you - give them a call to see what they need. https://www.vdl.umn.edu/
It would also be a good idea to have a sample of the paint tested as well.

You would want to have confirmation of poisoning, then follow the suggestions/advice that your vet recommends.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/lead-poisoning
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/03/lead-and-zinc-hidden-dangers-to-your.html

Lead paint was banned in 1978. How old is the coop/run they are in?

I highly doubt testing the eggs or birds would be economically viable. Easier to deal with the paint, and repopulate after remediation is completed.

Thanks, folks. Yes, they managed to find access to a small section of exterior painted wall (in spite of efforts to prevent it) that is pre-1978, more like 1930's.

I have read that lead does transfer to eggs but I have seen debate about whether the levels are above accepted amounts, if there was such a thing as acceptable amounts.

I am a backyard chicken-eer with a grand total of three birds for a whopping two months and half months. They are looking fine right now, wondering if it will kick in at some point or what?

Thanks, folks. Yes, they managed to find access to a small section of exterior painted wall (in spite of efforts to prevent it) that is pre-1978, more like 1930's.

I have read that lead does transfer to eggs but I have seen debate about whether the levels are above accepted amounts, if there was such a thing as acceptable amounts.

I am a backyard chicken-eer with a grand total of three birds for a whopping two months and half months. They are looking fine right now, wondering if it will kick in at some point or what?

As for IF chickens will show symptoms of lead toxicity, it would be wait and see, I suppose. There's no way to know how much was ingested.

Update: I have done some more digging and contacted someone at University of Maine Soils Lab who said they test chicken eggs for lead, they need to be sent hard boiled and cost $25 per egg with a minimum of two eggs, so $50. University of Mass Amherst does not and neither does Cornell, I guess it trashes their equipment. I plan to test mine, just need to scrape up $75. I will update when I do.

Update: I have done some more digging and contacted someone at University of Maine Soils Lab who said they test chicken eggs for lead, they need to be sent hard boiled and cost $25 per egg with a minimum of two eggs, so $50. University of Mass Amherst does not and neither does Cornell, I guess it trashes their equipment. I plan to test mine, just need to scrape up $75. I will update when I do.

I'm glad you found someone to test them.
A bit pricey, but I suppose it's worth it to know if there's lead in the eggs. I would think if there is lead levels found there, it would impact the health of the chickens in the future too.

Please do keep us posted:)

Hi, found this thread when googling lead testing eggs. We live in a historic town in Mass, and our neighbors who live in an antique home tested their chickens' eggs for lead and they came back positive. I don't know the whole story yet but I was told they saw their chickens pecking around the base of their home and decided to get them tested, just like you. I've heard lead paint has a sweet flavor. We have two babies and chickens as well, and our house is from the 50's so I would like to get ours tested to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom