Where to get "beak clips"?

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
I am looking for a solution to Hazel's pecking and found this answer, below. Does anyone know anything about the "beak clips" mentioned?

Hen pecking

Dear Practical Poultry, I have kept 10 to 12 chickens in an enclosed run for the past two years. One of my chickens has habitually pecked at the other chickens for some time. I'm getting more concerned now as another chicken has also started this nasty pecking habit. What should I do?

Richard Baker, Derby

Feather pecking is a habit that's impossible to break. The culprit is usually recognised as being the only full-feathered bird in a pen where the rest are obviously lacking - usually over the tail base, down the neck and chest or down the thighs. The picking can result in areas of trauma - once a bird has been bloodied, the others will naturally peck at the red, making matters progressively worse.
The best 'treatment' is to use small beak clips. These are widely available, and are thin, plastic, incomplete oval rings that clip into the nostrils and sit between upper and lower beaks. This means that the bird can close its beak enough to pick up grain and pellets, but not tightly enough to grip and pull a feather. Be warned though that clips like this will cause a groove across the upper beak, so if these are show birds, it's better to just separate the ring leader. The second bird to now be picking will also need the same treatment.​

I would have some concerns about the potential health consequences and humaneness of these devices. I am not familiar with them, but I would want to do some research first. At the very least, I can't see how a bird's beak would wear normally if she couldn't close it.

Yes, I agree. But as noted in our other post we are getting rather desperate. No one seems to have any other ideas so I am grasping at straws.

I have brought Hazel inside into my office for the moment. I guess I will have to set up the dog crate for her.

In the meantime, though, the other girls are now crying for her. So the noise issue hasn't been relieved, just the pecking one.

Sigh.

Stacey

Have you tried clipping the point off of the beak of the bird doing the pecking? We had problems with a turkey and that took care of it. The point grew back later, but by then the naughty habit had been broken.

Hi Sea Chick,

I just found this article:
caf.gif

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/TrimBeak.html

Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom