Who is this HUGE All Black Chick???

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
I ordered 1 black star and 1 australorp at the beginning of August. I got 4 black chicks (2 were replacements for my Salmon Favorelles). I think 1 is a barred rock, but the other three, I have no idea who is who! One is all black, huge (1.5 times as big as the others, has dark legs and gray eyes). It seems to have a more predominate comb than the others, but at this age, it's hard to tell! The neck seems to be long and look a little bare in spots. This may be just because the fuzz/feather transition.

I will take a pic tonight, but I can't find any breed that has all black chicks. Thoughts?

That's what I was wondering! It is the nicest chicken though. Doesn't realize it's size when running for the food/water. I might name him/her Bulldozer! Anyone have pics of their 4 week Jersey Giant?

I noticed Black Stars could be all black, but I wouldn't figure they'd be growing leaps and bounds over the rest.

The link in my other post has Jersey Giants at different ages. And my Black Stars didnt grow like that. What company did you get them from?? They didnt accidentally send you a black broiler did they??

Quote:
I sure hope they didn't either. Although I think you're safe since it took a whole month to be 1.5x as big... At that rate I don't think it would reach market weight in 3 months, rather than the cornish 2 months.

Quote:
I sure hope they didn't either. Although I think you're safe since it took a whole month to be 1.5x as big... At that rate I don't think it would reach market weight in 3 months, rather than the cornish 2 months.

Im sure she will be glad to know that.. lol..

I surely don't want a meat chicken. I'd cry - I'm vegetarian. I hope it is a Jersey Giant! I secretly wanted one. I ordered from Mypetchicken.com, and I think their hatchery/supplier is in New Jersey. I am going to post pics tonight!

I'm so excited to see what my mystery chicks turn into! My one barred rock surprise I did need to complete my "two of each breed", but if I'm going by that theory, I am going to need another GLW, SLW, Sussex, Black Star, and maybe a Jersey Giant! Boy am I trouble!

My Jersey Giant was 1.5 times the size of my Australorps at 8-12 weeks of age.
She is still my biggest hen but the Ausies are catching up. Giants slow down their
growth around 4 months. She is maybe 5 pounds now. I'm expecting her to hit
9. She was also the first hen to get waddles and my first to lay (16 weeks). The others
are just starting to lay at 20-22 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom