Why can't you feed uncooked rice to your flock?

http://readynutrition.com/resources/10-foods-you-should-not-feed-your-chickens_09022014/

basically THE UNCOOKED RICE DOES EXPAND
other wise it would not expand in water when cooking
Just as Navy beans expand when cooking
or even noodles etc expands when cooking
when it gets to the crop as the chicken take in water
and that makes the rice swell up
and not enough moisture or granite grit to help the gizzad to digest it
But yet the chickens are happy eating it from rice fields and not dieing
Glenda Heywood

Last edited:
10 Foods You Should Not Feed Your Chickens Tess Pennington
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition Originally published February 9th, 2014
25fe.png
Pumpkin Seed Treats for Chickens
25fe.png
Growing Chicken Feed From Thin Air w/The Prota-Pod
25fe.png
Homemade Chicken Suet Treats
25fe.png
6 Ways to Get Your Chicken Coop Ready For Winter
25fe.png
DIY: Grow a Week’s Worth of Livestock Feed For…
http://readynutrition.com/resources/how-to-ferment-feed-for-healthier-chickens_12072016/

the lady when saying green tomatoes an potatoe ment the plants as they are posionous for poultry
so go read and
discern if it is for you
we all read and discern for our selves what is right and what is wrong
thanks for the comments
Glenda Heywood

Last edited:
10 Foods You Should Not Feed Your Chickens Tess Pennington I often describe chickens as miniature trash compactors – they will eat almost anything you put in front of them. An emphasis should be placed on “almost anything”. For the most part, we feed our chickens food items they would normally find around the ranch – veggies, fruits, seeds and grains. As a treat or to supplement their diet, we give them meal worms. They are all-natural and give the girls extra nutrients. We may also put a little diatomaceous earth (DE) in their food, as well. This aids in digestion and is a natural de-wormer. Chickens also need some calcium and a little grit in their diets as well. The calcium helps them form a strong outer eggshell and the grit aids in digestion. I usually purchase this supplement kit with oyster shells, DE and grit, and add a little each day to their feed. That said, as open as these birds are to eating a varied diet, there are a few food types to steer clear of. 10 Foods Your Chickens Should Avoid
6.Dry rice – If we feed them rice, we cook it beforehand. Chickens that are fed dry rice are put in danger of the rice blowing up when it is introduced to moisture and will cause a gut problem in chickens.

Am I missing something?

Post 11 says it is fine??

Rice should be cooked. It's too hard to digest. HOWEVER...

If you have had success with it before, and no one is dying, then maybe your birds are more suited? Different birds from different areas get used to their ecosystem.

If this was every 6 months, and no one has gotten sick, I say you can continue.

I tried to find
the 1th post and cannot
I always fed rice cooked
as the moisture when added made the chickens crop hard
sorry for the problem
I took it off
as beekissed quoted it all
thanks

Last edited:
Raw eggs causing cannibalistic chickens is another urban myth that can't seem to be squashed. It's untrue, no matter how many people insist that it causes this, it just doesn't. Eating a broken egg in a nest is a necessary and instinctive reaction for chickens and any other type bird, for that matter. They instinctively clean that nest of the yolk material and often the egg shells too. A broody hen will often eat eggs in her nest that are not developing or have stopped developing....this does not make her a cannibal, she is keeping her nest clean and removing these eggs from the clutch so they will not grow rotten and risk spoiling the rest of the eggs with bacteria.

They don't "get a taste for it"...guess what? They already "have a taste for it" because they are omnivores. Every single chicken in the world is likely to eat a raw egg if the opportunity arises and there are certain times of the year that it does arise...and every year at these times we see the same posts over and over about "how to cure an egg eater". You don't have one egg eater or even two...your whole flock of birds are egg eaters. I've been throwing raw eggs to chickens for 40 yrs, my Mama has for 60 or so and I don't know how many years my Granny did it, but it was a long, long time. Guess what...no cannibalistic chickens in all that time that needed a "cure".

Also, the one about apples? Another myth...the apple seeds that contain high cyanide levels are those in an unripened apple, which chickens will not often eat down to the core or don't get the chance to eat very often. Ripened apples have been consumed by birds since the beginning of time and that goes for chickens too. I used to have a flock free ranging in an orchard of 16 large apple trees and they would engorge themselves on apples every fall. I now go pick apples for them each fall when I get the chance so they can have the same thing here too.

Onions. I've yet to see a chicken eat a raw onion, no matter how many times I throw them out to them. Cooked onions in other foods that are fed to them? Yep, they like them They will gobble them up like all the rest of the food and show no ill effects whatsoever.

If rice swelled significantly in small amounts of water, we wouldn't even need to cook it, would we? What little dabs of water a chicken takes in won't make a whole grain swell before it can get to the gizzard...where it will be ground into tiny pieces before being passed along to the digestive tract where it's further dissolved by digestive enzymes. Many, many species of waterfowl dine on left over rice after the harvest in rice fields all over the world, as well as all the other organisms they find in those rice fields. They also take in WAY more water than a chicken will in the course of their day of feeding, so the whole rice thing just doesn't hold water...pun intended.
wink.png

Green tomatoes? Another "toxic" food eaten by chickens since the beginning of time that doesn't kill them....doesn't even make them have a tummy ache. Mine eat a full on plenty of them each garden season and are hale and hearty all the time.

Potato peelings....like onions. No matter how many raw potato peelings you throw to a flock of chickens, they won't eat them anyway, so that whole toxic warning is kind of moot.

Five things on the list of ten are bogus or moot, so it's not worth much in the real world of chickens.

Raw eggs causing cannibalistic chickens is another urban myth that can't seem to be squashed. It's untrue, no matter how many people insist that it causes this, it just doesn't. Eating a broken egg in a nest is a necessary and instinctive reaction for chickens and any other type bird, for that matter. They instinctively clean that nest of the yolk material and often the egg shells too. A broody hen will often eat eggs in her nest that are not developing or have stopped developing....this does not make her a cannibal, she is keeping her nest clean and removing these eggs from the clutch so they will not grow rotten and risk spoiling the rest of the eggs with bacteria.

They don't "get a taste for it"...guess what? They already "have a taste for it" because they are omnivores. Every single chicken in the world is likely to eat a raw egg if the opportunity arises and there are certain times of the year that it does arise...and every year at these times we see the same posts over and over about "how to cure an egg eater". You don't have one egg eater or even two...your whole flock of birds are egg eaters. I've been throwing raw eggs to chickens for 40 yrs, my Mama has for 60 or so and I don't know how many years my Granny did it, but it was a long, long time. Guess what...no cannibalistic chickens in all that time that needed a "cure".

Also, the one about apples? Another myth...the apple seeds that contain high cyanide levels are those in an unripened apple, which chickens will not often eat down to the core or don't get the chance to eat very often. Ripened apples have been consumed by birds since the beginning of time and that goes for chickens too. I used to have a flock free ranging in an orchard of 16 large apple trees and they would engorge themselves on apples every fall. I now go pick apples for them each fall when I get the chance so they can have the same thing here too.

Onions. I've yet to see a chicken eat a raw onion, no matter how many times I throw them out to them. Cooked onions in other foods that are fed to them? Yep, they like them They will gobble them up like all the rest of the food and show no ill effects whatsoever.

If rice swelled significantly in small amounts of water, we wouldn't even need to cook it, would we? What little dabs of water a chicken takes in won't make a whole grain swell before it can get to the gizzard...where it will be ground into tiny pieces before being passed along to the digestive tract where it's further dissolved by digestive enzymes. Many, many species of waterfowl dine on left over rice after the harvest in rice fields all over the world, as well as all the other organisms they find in those rice fields. They also take in WAY more water than a chicken will in the course of their day of feeding, so the whole rice thing just doesn't hold water...pun intended.
wink.png

Green tomatoes? Another "toxic" food eaten by chickens since the beginning of time that doesn't kill them....doesn't even make them have a tummy ache. Mine eat a full on plenty of them each garden season and are hale and hearty all the time.

Potato peelings....like onions. No matter how many raw potato peelings you throw to a flock of chickens, they won't eat them anyway, so that whole toxic warning is kind of moot.

Five things on the list of ten are bogus or moot, so it's not worth much in the real world of chickens.
Experience based wisdom yet again debunks the "they saids."

I was given this URL
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp
but do not have time to read the many articles that came up on Bing for Rice
so you all can go read them

I think the lady in the rice fields area has the ticket here on truth of rice
thanks
Glenda Heywood

PSS.
I DID READ THE ARTICLE
and as it was politicle at not throwing rice at weddings
this was the answer
However, local ornithologists said that they had never heard of or seen birds dying after consuming rice thrown at weddings:

Steven C. Sibley,
Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology,
Ithaca, N.Y.

Rice is no threat to birds. It must be boiled before it will expand. Furthermore, all the food that birds swallow is ground up by powerful muscles and grit in their gizzards. Many birds love rice, as any frustrated rice farmer will tell you.

and no people are not throwing rice at weddings now

WHY
as ths says
Rice also poses a unique danger, albeit it to people rather than birds: rice scattered on a hard surface (such as the steps of a church or a dance floor) puts anyone who walks across that surface at risk of taking a nasty spill. Far better to prohibit rice throwing at a wedding than to end up with an injured guest.

thank goodness
GLH

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom