Will my Toulouse geese hatch their eggs?

Peeper7

Songster
12 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Northeast Ohio
Hi, I have a trio of regular toulouse geese that are piling up eggs in a nest. I have never had geese before. They have been laying about 2 weeks and have about a dozen eggs there. We haven't seen them setting much, and when I check them they do not feel warm.

I don't know what to do. Please advise fellow goosers! (geezers?
idunno.gif
Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
cool.... I hope they do! They sure don't seem to be spending much time on the nest tho... surely they have piled up enough eggs some of which are reaching 2 wks old.

I do love my geese but they are just sooo dirty. I was not planning on a gaggle but if it happens then great as long as the parents take care of them.

I have 4 females and two males. The females all layed in the same nest and if I took the eggs they would move elsewhere. I started collecting the eggs and finally one of them went to a nest by herself and layed one egg and went broody on it. I slipped 5 others from the collection pile under her so she is setting on 6 eggs. Found another nest in the barn in the manger yesterday, so I am collecting eggs again to give to her when she decides to set on them. Also put 14 in the bator. If these all hatch I will be overrun with geese.... question????? I don't want to leave her in the barn if she starts setting. Can I move her after she sets? The barn is very open and the raccoons go in there every night and break into the feed barrells... try to anyway and frequently manage to get the lids off. I am gathering the eggs every evening she goes into the chicken house and take them to the house so they don't get stolen and put them back in the nest in the mornings.. If she finds the net empty I know she will go elsewhere and I like knowing where they are.

OK now they have 2 layers of eggs -- over a dozen. They cover them with hay when they leave the nest. I think there is also a chicken egg (!) in there.

If I don't keep it cleaned out somewhat there are geese eggs, chicken eggs, guinea eggs and DUCK eggs all in one big nest. I have been pulling all but the goose eggs.

Quote:
I am a geezer because I am a 67 year man, I am not a gooser because that just isn't polite. (the verb to goose has fallen out of use but you could look it up) Seriously your geese are laying, when they all use a common nest it is know as dump laying or dump nesting, it should be discouraged and each goose should have her own nest. Why? because if one goes broody the other two birds are likely to force her off the nest while they lay their egg, she will go back and start brooding the new egg(s) come hatch time the originals will hatch out but the newer eggs won'r be ready yet but they will be far enough along so she will know that they are alive. this makes a hard choice for the poor goose, does she leave the nest to care for the original clutch and let the late ones die or does she try to hatch them and not give proper care to the ones alive. BTW some geese give notice that they are about to go broody as they line the nest with feathers that they pluck from their own 'brooding surface' they are usually on the nest to set(or brood) within 24 hours, sometimes less. I hope this was some help.

Quote:
I am a geezer because I am a 67 year man, I am not a gooser because that just isn't polite. (the verb to goose has fallen out of use but you could look it up) Seriously your geese are laying, when they all use a common nest it is know as dump laying or dump nesting, it should be discouraged and each goose should have her own nest. Why? because if one goes broody the other two birds are likely to force her off the nest while they lay their egg, she will go back and start brooding the new egg(s) come hatch time the originals will hatch out but the newer eggs won'r be ready yet but they will be far enough along so she will know that they are alive. this makes a hard choice for the poor goose, does she leave the nest to care for the original clutch and let the late ones die or does she try to hatch them and not give proper care to the ones alive. BTW some geese give notice that they are about to go broody as they line the nest with feathers that they pluck from their own 'brooding surface' they are usually on the nest to set(or brood) within 24 hours, sometimes less. I hope this was some help.

I noticed the feathers and down in the nest the day before mine went broody, but didn't know that it was a sign of impending broodyness. Now I know what to look for with the other one that has moved to her other nest and I am gathering the eggs. Now I will know pretty close when to put them back for her.. thanks... good to know.

Last edited:
Quote:

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

VERY helpful, thank you. I do know the meaning of being "goosed," and though I'm new to geese I was standing in the driveway watching them with 2 friends telling them how very FRIENDLY my geese were -- not aggressive at all. At that very moment one friend got truely goosed....never turned his back on the geese again! It came around his truck and snuck up on him -- on all of us. How funny!
I see that breeding season gives some very aggressive behavior. A female got me the other day and I was even ready and confident to fend her off. Could it be because I took their eggs ????
hu.gif
I removed the eggs to start fresh so I could sell them for hatching. They will never use an area I make for a "nest" area. As soon as I put straw in it they leave it. I though toulouse were supposed to be laid back?
Should I try to set up nesting areas again? They are looking for a new spot.

Back
Top Bottom