With what do you scoop your poop?!

sovia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Black Hills of SD
Ok, this is probably going to sound like a dumb question, but what do you all use to scoop the poop in your run? I have a sand-covered run and, initially, I was just raking the poop into the sand and sprinkling some DE throughout the run. Now that the chickens are 21 weeks old, the poop is too big to do that. I tried using a rake and shovel, but the poop just passes right through the rake. Is there some special kind of poop rake that I don't know about? I know there has to be an easier way to rake that stuff out of the run.
barnie.gif

Hi, I have a dirt floor, so don't know if this would work.
At Wal-mart they have these shrub rakes,they are small like kid sized. They work for me, cost about 4 bucks last time I got one. I use a broken flat shovel to scoop it up.
I pick up their poop every morning & scrap off the poop on the perches & walk boards. I've coolect 6 - 5 gal buckets a week.
th.gif

Good luck
smile.png

Ok this might seem weide but after cleaning it up what doyou do with it, I have heard it makes good fertilizer but I have been tossiung it in the trash but it leave my ca selling is there a cleaner and easier way to dispose of it?
sad.png

At Wal-mart they have these shrub rakes,they are small like kid sized. They work for me, cost about 4 bucks last time I got one.

I also have one of these "kidlike" shrub rakes. I have a sand run about 2" thick and I take the rake upside down and run it kinda side ways through the sand and it acts like a sifter. I tried raking it up but it broke it up into too small a pieces. then dump it into a big bucket. I compost mine along with their used bedding. I'm hoping for the most fabulous tomatoes next year!​

Last edited:
My girls free range so I don't have to clean the run very often (when I do I just rake it). Under the roost I use a dust pan. I just let them out in the morning and scoop up the poo under the roost. As for getting rid of it, I put it in the composter and it ends up in the garden.

We use a kitty litter scooper and a bucket to scrape the roosts and droppings boards. We use a manure fork for the bedding in the hen house. We use a shovel for the droppings just near the hen house and barn doors. Everything goes into the compost heap.

Our flock forages our acreage, we don't have a run. But we do have to sweep off the back patio pavers and front porch. They get hosed down and scrubbed with disinfectant once a week, if it isn't snowing.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom