worms in 1 month old bantam chicks please help me save them (warning: pictures)

Yes.

I think up to that point the calculation is correct, though I have difficulty reading it (guess different countries don't write out the maths the same).

I don't find the same number.
I started from 100 ml of product contains 2000 mg of Praziquantel (2g).
1 ml of product will contain 20mg of Praziquantel.
You want 7.5 mg for the rooster. To get from the 20 mg in 1 ml to 7.5 mg : 20/7.5 =2.666.
To find the quantity of product needed, you need to divide 1 ml by 2.666 ; that is 0.37 ml of product.

Then from that I would do an average weight for the chicks of 150 grams so you just need to divide the dose by five for each chick. That is 0.07 mg which I am afraid will be hard to dose correctly.
If you have pharmacies or drugstore ask for the smallest measuring syringe they have.

The Pyrantel dose will actually be lower than it needs to be. Pyrantel kills the roundworms (nematodes, the longer worms in your picture) so if they survive, maybe in a few months you will need to dose them with the Piperazine you have.

For the starter feed, if they don't have it as a mash, one tip is to put it on the floor instead of in a plate.
But I wouldn't worry too much about that, although they do need nutrition. My chicks never accepted to eat starter feed until their broody had left them at six weeks because the momma did not let them and they were still healthy. I gave them like you scrambled egg, mixed crushed grains and healthy bread. I know not everyone agrees on this but my point of view is don't let them starve, better if they eat what they chose than if they don't eat at all.

Good- easier to use !
Thank you! I did it again starting from 100ml and found the 0.37ml for the rooster like you, so you are correct, the smallest measuring syringe I have is 1ml. I look up in an big online farmacy and that's the smallest they have but I will go to a nearby farmacy tomorrow and I will ask if they have it or if they know where I can have it, I'm more afraid measuring the 0.05 for the chicks, I hope I won't overdose them.
I hope the roundworms wont survive, but now I will be inspecting them better, I had so many plans before they hatch, I wanted to weight them, inspect them and take pictures one by one every day but they move so hard, they were so slippy, they cry so loud that the hen become crazy, she did not peck me but move like a lion in a cage making loud sounds and without thinking in crushing the ones that were with her, If I grab her first she hurts herself bumping in the wired cage, and it's cold too, and I did not want the chicks to get cold, it was stressing for both sides, so I decide it to let them be and watching them without touch them, I will try to make it better next time.
For the feed I give them dry and mashed, the mashed feed in a bowl of plastic bottle, the dry feed in a plastic bottle cut vertically an the border was like 0.5cm high but they flipped it over and everything was in the floor, I saw them looking for the scarce seeds(?) that are not completely grounded in the feed, at the end of the day for less than a minute the hen and one chick seemingly were eating the dry feed but I was not sure if they were specifically looking for some little crushed grains that I can't see.
In my case is the hen too that make that sound to not eat something and the chicks don't eat it. I hope they eat it when they are emancipated like yours, I'm glad yours have no problem with the food you gave them.

I will update in the night how it works the dewormer, I'll try to take pictures of the parasites. I hope everything goes well.
Thank you for taking your time to help me.

Could you post a picture of the dark back end of one of the chicks? That might help, but you're probably right about the cause.
this is the night before one chick died, I will try to take pictures from the others, but I can't assure you because it's imposible to make them sit still for 1 second in an angle where I can watch them, let alone to take pictures, but I'll try it.

Attachments

• bottom chick died.jpg
    bottom chick died.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 9
Now in the bottle inside the cage of dewormer is not written Vehicule C.S.P 100ml, it's written 100mg, that change anything in the dosage? I already gave him to the rooster, he did not ate all the egg where it was the dewormer so I'm saving it for later I think he will take it, but now I'm unsure about the dosage, what should I do?

Now in the bottle inside the cage of dewormer is not written Vehicule C.S.P 100ml, it's written 100mg, that change anything in the dosage? I already gave him to the rooster, he did not ate all the egg where it was the dewormer so I'm saving it for later I think he will take it, but now I'm unsure about the dosage, what should I do?
Was it liquid like water ? 1 ml of water weighs 1 mg, so it would likely not change much for dosage.

If by chance you have both a high precision scale and a measuring glass, you can try to weigh 100 ml of product and see if it weighs 100mg. Otherwise, I would assume the dosage was the same.

For the chicks, I think you will need to work with a dilution in water.
If you want to get to 0.05 ml for each chick, for example, I would mix 4.5 ml of water with 0.5 ml of product.
You would then have 5ml of mix containing 0.5 ml of product.

To give each chick 0.05 ml of product you would need one tenth of the mix, so 0.5 ml.

I forgot to tell you another tip to give meds mixed in with food : always in a very small amount of food. Otherwise like your rooster they might leave out some of it. Some meds have a strong taste or smell.

For the chicks, if you don't feel confident handling them, don't try a syringe. I couldn't have done that with my broody raised chicks either. Your best bet is on a tiny piece of bread, or a very small bite of something that can drink up the liquid which they will eat with no hesitation.

Don't feel guilty. When you let a broody raise her chicks it's normal that they will be more fearful of you. They trust their mamma. I never handled mine either. I understand not everyone do it like this, but I think letting the chicks grow up with their mamma is one of the best thing we can do for them. People who handle their chicks daily or raise them without their mum still loose chicks to health issues too.

Was it liquid like water ? 1 ml of water weighs 1 mg, so it would likely not change much for dosage.

If by chance you have both a high precision scale and a measuring glass, you can try to weigh 100 ml of product and see if it weighs 100mg. Otherwise, I would assume the dosage was the same.

For the chicks, I think you will need to work with a dilution in water.
If you want to get to 0.05 ml for each chick, for example, I would mix 4.5 ml of water with 0.5 ml of product.
You would then have 5ml of mix containing 0.5 ml of product.

To give each chick 0.05 ml of product you would need one tenth of the mix, so 0.5 ml.

I forgot to tell you another tip to give meds mixed in with food : always in a very small amount of food. Otherwise like your rooster they might leave out some of it. Some meds have a strong taste or smell.

For the chicks, if you don't feel confident handling them, don't try a syringe. I couldn't have done that with my broody raised chicks either. Your best bet is on a tiny piece of bread, or a very small bite of something that can drink up the liquid which they will eat with no hesitation.

Don't feel guilty. When you let a broody raise her chicks it's normal that they will be more fearful of you. They trust their mamma. I never handled mine either. I understand not everyone do it like this, but I think letting the chicks grow up with their mamma is one of the best thing we can do for them. People who handle their chicks daily or raise them without their mum still loose chicks to health issues too.
Thank you so much for your fast response, saddly I dont have a precision scale, only a kitchen scale and it only weights grams, the liquid looks very liquid to me but not as liquid as water but when I mixed it with the egg I couldn't see its color which is pink, I will go with the 0.05ml per chick just in case, after all they now weight 163,173,196g and because 0.05ml is less than a drop it will be ok in one bit of egg or meat, the only problem will be the hen she is very picky I'll try to inyect the liquid inside only only bit of meat following your wonderful tip I hope that way she does not taste it at all. Thank you so much for your wonderful tips! I really needed a long ago before about to dilute in water liquid medicine in order to give him to the rooster when he was younger. Now I know it! Thank you again!

Now everyone has taken dewormer, but because my stupidity some wrong things happened:
I put the dewormer in meat, for the hen and the chicks, the chicks ate their respective meat but when I grab the hen, cut her meat meal to half and give her but she drop it for their chicks!, I thinked the meat would fall in my lap but saddly fall in the floor and one chick take it I chased it but couldn't catch it and it ate it!
Stressed Over It GIF by HULU

That means a chick has taken maybe more than 0.15ml instead of 0.05ml, do you know if activated carbon will be of help? I have an antitoxic for cats and pets too but I dont know if will be ok that one.
Well I gave a bit of a pill of carbon activated because it was sneezing and his wings were starting to dropping when standing. I just hope I don't intoxicated with that too, it is usually the most active.

Last edited:
The chick looked good at the end of the day I hope nothing bad happened internally! I will update in a week or so, unless something bad happens before. Thank you everybody for taking your precious time to help me in these bad times! Blessings!
It often doesn't work out the way you expect with chickens 😬. I hope the chick will be fine, probably the activated carbon worked, in which case he may need be to be dewormed again. But if he feels active and healthy, just leave him be for some time !

Some chickens deal with parasites better than others. I have both tapeworms and roundworms in my environment . For tapeworms, I chose to only treat individual chickens who show signs of being unwell, I don't treat systematically. For roundworms, I treat once a year. I would say around 2/3 of my chickens manage to be completely healthy in spite of them.

For chicks, I am not sure how yours did, I think gradual exposure to their environment is key. If they don't come out on the ground the first week, it's good to put some soil from different places where they will hang out once they range in the brooder, so they are exposed to the bacterias and parasites in very small doses. And to make sure they don't go from being closed inside, to suddenly being outside the whole day.

Hoping for a good outcome, update us on how they do .

It often doesn't work out the way you expect with chickens 😬. I hope the chick will be fine, probably the activated carbon worked, in which case he may need be to be dewormed again. But if he feels active and healthy, just leave him be for some time !
I was thinking about that too, so I was doubting in giving it the carbon, but it lay down for a long time twice not following its mom and it was walking slowly so I panicked and gave it, I'll be monitoring everybody.
Some chickens deal with parasites better than others. I have both tapeworms and roundworms in my environment . For tapeworms, I chose to only treat individual chickens who show signs of being unwell, I don't treat systematically. For roundworms, I treat once a year. I would say around 2/3 of my chickens manage to be completely healthy in spite of them.
I have 2yo roosters that grew with many wild birds and ate insects from compost pile since chicks and never got problems with worms so in my ignorance I thinked there was none, I don't say they don't have it, but they look active, I give them a bit of garlic once a month and sometimes I've see them eating medicinal plants when foraging, I don't really like resorting to antibiotics and such because I know everything has side effects, there is the expression "the cure could be worse than the disease", that's why they are my last resource when I see no improvment. I was sad giving them the dewormer to my little chicks but, the picture in my mind of the intestines full of parasites from the dead chick and the larvae in the poop of alive chicks left me without choice.
For chicks, I am not sure how yours did, I think gradual exposure to their environment is key. If they don't come out on the ground the first week, it's good to put some soil from different places where they will hang out once they range in the brooder, so they are exposed to the bacterias and parasites in very small doses. And to make sure they don't go from being closed inside, to suddenly being outside the whole day.

Hoping for a good outcome, update us on how they do .
They were foraging with their mom from the second day of life all day, the same as my big roosters did with the diference that the roosters didn't have a mom hen, that's why I didn't see something very wrong could happen, but now I know so I willl be more careful, I've read bantams can be weaker than standard size chicken but I didn't think it could be that bad.
Thank you for your wishes, I will updating to let everybody knows.

Back
Top Bottom