Worried about hen

I have never dewormed them actually :oops:. What do you recommend?
I don't know what water belly is, but she appears to be breathing normally, I think? Maybe a little heavy compared to the others, it's hard to tell.

Your hen likely has a chronic disease, and her feathers indicate she is probably at the tail end of it. I can't diagnose your hen, but she may have cancer tumors possibly cause by an avian virus.

I have lymphoid leucosis in my flock, and have had hens with deformed feathers and incomplete molts due to the tumors it causes. Not saying this is what your hen has, but when she dies, you would be wise to have a necropsy done by an animal testing lab.

You can try her on an antibiotic. Finding one over the counter these days is very difficult. If you have any leftover people prescriptions, you can use that.

Also, her poop looks like it has a bit of a yellowish goo tinge around the firmer bits.

Your hen likely has a chronic disease, and her feathers indicate she is probably at the tail end of it. I can't diagnose your hen, but she may have cancer tumors possibly cause by an avian virus.

I have lymphoid leucosis in my flock, and have had hens with deformed feathers and incomplete molts due to the tumors it causes. Not saying this is what your hen has, but when she dies, you would be wise to have a necropsy done by an animal testing lab.

You can try her on an antibiotic. Finding one over the counter these days is very difficult. If you have any leftover people prescriptions, you can use that.
☝️ This.

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying, look her over for lice/mites and if possible get a fecal float to see if worms may be part of the problem.

The green poop may indicate not eating well/bile, perhaps infection. Yellow urates often mean some type of liver dysfunction and/or reproductive disorder.
You don't mention if she's laying eggs, probably not, so I would suspect some type of reproductive problem on top of whatever else this may be.

An antibiotic may or may not help - it's really hard to know, sometimes a hen may respond well for a short while, then decline again.

If you lose her, sending the body to your state lab will give you the most information about any illnesses/conditions that were affecting her.

Do you provide oyster shell free choice for your ladies?

Back
Top Bottom