Wyandotte compatibility with submissive breeds

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
My husband the enabler has convinced me to keep one of the chicks from this year's meat batch. I have a core flock of pet hens, but every year I also raise a bunch of chicks for meat, from a dual purpose breed. This year I'm thinking of trying Wyandottes. So the plan is to let them reach full size, then keep one as a pet and eat the rest. So my question is, would she fit into my flock of submissive breeds - English Orpingtons and Barnevelders? I haven't had Wyandottes before, but have read that they can be dominating and aggressive with the more submissive breeds. Currently I have 3 generations of chickens in my pet flock, so I'm hoping that if she's the youngest, and a singleton of her type and age, that will keep her from bossing the others around? It seems that Wyandottes get big, but not as big as English Orpingtons, so hopefully she won't have a size advantage either (over the Orps at least). She would be joining the flock at about a month old. We'll have some of the new chicks in a brooder in the house, to be handled and socialized so that one of them can become a pet, the rest will be raised by a broody with the flock. The brooder chicks will be introduced to the flock at about a month old, then everybody will be together until processing time, at which point the friendliest Wyandotte will get to stay.

Do you think this will work out, or is the Wyandotte not a good breed for this scenario?

Picture of my core flock, peacefully enjoying a snack. They get along very well.

IMG_4526.JPG

Agree. Our Wyandottes have always been good flock members.
Years ago we had red sex links and Favorelles at the same time. That didn't go well, the sex link hens were feather picking beasts, and the Favorelles were too mellow to get along in the mixed flock.
Mary

Hoping I don’t have an issue. I had red sex links (2) and (1) silver laced Wyandotte with two buff Orpington’s and two silkies one is a fancy and one a fluffy Our other Wyandotte didn’t make it as a chick it was so small and never got bigger the other chicks ran over top of it …. We separated her with one other chick that was mello and tried everything but she wouldn’t eat 🥲 So far they all get along they all peck each other but just here or there not like fighting but I’m worried because once they are coop ( they are ready to go out to coop now ) my fluffy silkie is pretty social and goes about fine the other satin silkie is a lil more shy Both buffs are more shy as well. Red sex links and Wyandotte are definitely my more active crazy chicks at this point 😳. If it looks like a problem I’m going to split up and get a smaller coop that I will put my silkies in together and I’ll add two more with them ….. I am going to add at least 3 more to this flock come spring ( which my chicks will be about 6-7 months old at that point) if they all get along but if I have to split I’ll probably get 4-5. Two or three to go with the red sex, buffs and one Wyandotte and then two with silkies

My husband the enabler has convinced me to keep one of the chicks from this year's meat batch. I have a core flock of pet hens, but every year I also raise a bunch of chicks for meat, from a dual purpose breed. This year I'm thinking of trying Wyandottes. So the plan is to let them reach full size, then keep one as a pet and eat the rest. So my question is, would she fit into my flock of submissive breeds - English Orpingtons and Barnevelders? I haven't had Wyandottes before, but have read that they can be dominating and aggressive with the more submissive breeds. Currently I have 3 generations of chickens in my pet flock, so I'm hoping that if she's the youngest, and a singleton of her type and age, that will keep her from bossing the others around? It seems that Wyandottes get big, but not as big as English Orpingtons, so hopefully she won't have a size advantage either (over the Orps at least). She would be joining the flock at about a month old. We'll have some of the new chicks in a brooder in the house, to be handled and socialized so that one of them can become a pet, the rest will be raised by a broody with the flock. The brooder chicks will be introduced to the flock at about a month old, then everybody will be together until processing time, at which point the friendliest Wyandotte will get to stay.

Do you think this will work out, or is the Wyandotte not a good breed for this scenario?

Picture of my core flock, peacefully enjoying a snack. They get along very well.

View attachment 3469063
Awww. I have to say I really didn’t think I’d be attached to my chickens ….but I love them 😂. I already want more

Back
Top Bottom